Chapter 5 - Weak Left

In the past days, I've considered quitting the team. The encounter with Rose left me with a bad taste. After I sulked my way with plenty of tea and the stroopwafels my mom sent me, I felt much better.

At work, I've been staring at the flowers on my desk often wondering who could be the sender. All my possible suspects at the office, the guys who flirt with me often, have been discarded. At one point or another, they have accused someone else or have asked me if I have a boyfriend.

Besides them, my contact with the male species is limited. Was it Rose? No, that can't be. She won't go through the effort just to piss me. In any case, making me disappear sounds more like the thing for her to do. She almost got away with it, but I'm stronger than her ill will.

I push open the doors to the club and wave at Cooper. He sits at one of the tables with a spread of papers.

"Morning. What've you got there?" I ask as I approach him.

"I got the game schedule, and we will need help. We always have some teens around wanting to earn a quick buck during the season. You know, serving drinks, cleaning afterwards. I'm making a contact list to check who is available."

"Nice and busy then. I'll go get changed."

Cooper looks behind me, and I turn around to find Rose.

"Rose, think Jacob wants to work here during the home games?"

"I will ask," she throws a scornful look at me and heads to the changing room.

Cooper answers a call, and I follow her. My hand stops the door right before it hits me in my face. Her behavior is plain childish. Once inside, the happy chatter of my teammates subsides.

"Keep talking. Nothing to see here," Rose barks at them.

The group resumes their talks, and she heads to sit next to Sage. I do the same on the opposite side of the room and find a place next to Willow.

"Sanne, how was your week?" she asks warmly.

I smile at her. You can't help it but like her for her sweet character.

"It was fine. Work kept me busy. What about you?"

"The same. Although I wish I didn't have clients at my job. The world would be better."

Her statement puzzles me. "What do you do for a job?"

"I'm a counselor at a shelter for abused women. First line help, so I see these women when they are at their worst. Some times we get men too, and it's heartbreaking. I wish things like these didn't happen to people."

"I can only imagine. They must feel glad they have you to help them."

"It isn't as easy. They feel guilty and ashamed, and when there are children involved, it gets worse. They rather go back to the abuser hoping the kids will live a normal life."

"How do you manage to stay so cheer-"

"Sorry to interrupt girlfriend time," Rose shouts. "We have to practice."

Willow sighs and stands up to follow Rose. I finish lacing my shoes and head outside where the team has gathered in a circle around Cooper.

"As some of you know already," Cooper winks at my direction. "The game schedule arrived. I will be emailing you with the details. I believe this will be our best season ever. Positions!"

I feel relieved when Rose is assigned to the other team. The practice game begins, and I'm glad I got the new shoes. My first save comes within the first minutes of the game.