Chapter 7 - A Friend

Concentrate, target the ball. That has been my mantra for the past two weeks. I come to practice, leave my heart out there, and go home.

My behavior change is the result of a realization, one that left me feeling uneasy and vulnerable. On the field, Cooper is a great coach, outside, he's playing a different game. Whenever Rose is around, his friendly behavior towards me turns into heavy flirting. Then I saw him cornering Rose behind the bar with the excuse of massaging her shoulders. I'm not willing to be part of what he has in mind, making her jealous or whatever that is.

He must have noticed the change in me for I got a message asking if all is well. I gave him a light reply, saying it is and that I'm still enjoying myself and left it at that. He didn't dig further and I'm glad about it.

Rose looks different though. Her appearance is still the same, elegant and not a hair out of place, but her eyes are empty of emotion. Not that I feel pity for her, but it hit home. Her face reflects the same look I had a year ago each time I stared at myself in a mirror. She's also distracted, which is unusual for her, and has lost control of the ball a few times, earning curses and yells from Cooper and her mates.

After training, I could hear the gossip buzz in the changing room and this time it wasn't about me. Willow was almost bouncing on the bench, begging for me to go have tea with her, probably to talk about what happened. I declined politely, saying I had work to do. It bugs me that she claims to be Rose's best friend, yet I don't see her begging Rose to go out.

Next weekend we will have our first real match and that's all that matters to me at this moment. My goalie uniform is folded on top of my dining table and my stomach feels knotted in excitement and a bit of fear. I'm not a bad player, but who knows for sure what we are up against.

"Ma'am, we are about to close."

I stare up at the young waitress and by the amount of crumbs and coffee cups on the table, I realize that I've been sitting at this café for hours. I came here to read and distract myself from the club and the people in it, and didn't even open the book I brought.

"Yeah, sure. Thanks," I pull out a bunch of bills and lay them on the table without counting then. The girl gives me a weird stare. Then I realize that this is counter service and I don't need to tip, but it's too late to retract my action.

The window displays on my way home provide some entertainment. I think I will order pizza, take a long shower and then binge on Netflix.

"Sanne!"

I turn towards the voice and see a tall man that I don't recognize walking towards me.

"Yes, can I help you?"

"Don't you recognize me anymore?" He places his sunglasses on his head and I see the hazel eyes, well known eyes.

Sorry

The message on my phone runs through my head and I take a step back. This can't be right. He can't be here.

"It's so good to see you again," he smiles at me.

"I can't say the same. What are you doing here, Lachlan?" I feel the repressed anger fueling my body.

"I came to see you."

"Well, you saw me. Now return to wherever you came from."

People stare at us as they pass by, it's obvious that this isn't a friendly encounter.

"At least let me explain," he begs.

"What is there to explain? You left me. Disappeared! Next I hear you are back in Sydney to your wife," my voice goes a pitch higher and I can't help it.