Chapter 15 - Pretend Haters

When Rose returns, I'm still nursing my almost empty cup of tea. She places a bistro plate of cheese, nuts and grapes on the middle of the table.

"What's your decision?" She says as she pops a cube of cheese in her mouth.

"I've only been part of this club for a short time. I don't think the decision is up to me."

"So you want Cooper out..." Rose reclines on the back of her chair and stares at me.

"I didn't say that. This is a team decision to help him or not. We need to get the team together and talk about this."

Rose shifts in her chair and watches the door with an expression I can't decipher. Fear, perhaps? "You want Willow's opinion in this?"

"Of course not," I say and she visibly relaxes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sure, more than okay," her usual attitude returns as she plucks a grape.

"I'll find a place and I'll need you to contact the ladies. I would myself, but honestly I have no one's phone."

"Not even Willow's? I thought you guys hit it off."

"I was friendly to her in the beginning, but she isn't my friend. I've given it some thought and she definitely has a hidden agenda in all of this."

"What are you thinking about? Willow is gay, I don't think she has an interest on Cooper."

"But what about the things Cooper is interested in? It's just a hunch."

"And how often are your hunches right?"

"Often."

That is true, except when Lachlan left. Everything seemed fine until I came back to our apartment to find him and his stuff gone.

Rose is deep in thought and suddenly her eyes widen.

"The flowers... They must have been from her."

"Flowers?" My own mystery gift comes to mind.

"A few months ago, I received a bouquet here. Whoever sent it wrote London, the nickname Cooper uses for me. That evening Cooper came by and he asked who sent them. They weren't his."

"I also received a bouquet at my office, and whoever sent them doesn't know me well, because I don't like cut flowers."

"That sneaky bitch... Leave the contact with the girls with me. Just let me know the time and place, and I'll make sure they are there. If possible, away from this mall and the club. Let's keep the rest business as usual."

"You mean, you hate me and I hate you?"

Rose laughs. "I'm starting to like you Sanne, but yes, that's what I mean. Pretend haters."

After saying goodbye, I head home and lay on my bed. Where will I find a secluded place to meet in a town I barely know? My phone lights up with a notification from Lachlan, wishing me a good night.

A deep sigh escapes me as I ring his number.

"Are you okay?" Lachlan responds after two rings.

"I could use some company," I admit.

"Uhm... Yeah, I can be there in about twenty minutes."

"Thanks."

After hanging up, I stare at my phone and wonder why I did that. Lachlan and I keep in touch but nothing more than a friendship seems to be in store for us.

I spend some time organizing my apartment, even though there isn't much to do, and soon enough the intercom buzzes. I open the building door remotely and wait for him at the door. The moment he steps out of the elevator, I hold his arms and pull him towards me to kiss him.