Ma'am, Hi

I think if you take a look at Steve's face when Bruce arrives it's pretty obvious that he's worried.

                             -----------------------

Natasha didn't really know when it had first started. The feelings. It was funny, she had never believed in love and had always been taught that feelings and caring made you weak. But she had fallen nonetheless, and she had fallen hard.

Ma'am

Hi

At first, it had barely been anything. She had felt a flutter in her chest the first time she had heard his voice on the decks  of the herricarrier. It had been deep and respectful, and he had been one of the few who focused on her face rather than her body. It had been a flutter. Only a flutter she told herself, over, and over.

And at first that had been enough. She knew he wasn't at all interested in her. She was a spy, a broken, horrible spy. So she pushed it down and fought aliens. She allowed him to launch her up into the air, but other than that stayed away from him as best she could.

Until Fury had assigned him as her partner after Clint went back to the farm to recover from his brainwashing. She had considered asking Fury to give her a different partner, but that would have raised a whole bunch of other questions that she didn't want to answer.

So instead she fought beside him. They started to talk and he was different than she had expected. Sure he was old fashioned and shy around her, but he slowly started to open up.

His favorite color was red, he liked Chinese food and was hopeless at dancing. He enjoyed baseball, drawing and had a small fear of heights. He rarely talked about the past and she didn't bring it up. It was comfortable and felt right. She began to think of confessing what she'd been bottling up for the past two years, but never got the nerve up.

Then Fury was in the hospital and died. Steve had the file and she took it from the machine. It was a pretty good place to hide something, she'd give him that unless of course, someone wanted some gum.

And she had.

she told him about the Winter Soldier and they tried to find out where to go next and ended up at a mall. Turned out he was a terrible actor as well as liar, and she made the split-second decision to use the ultimate undercover method.

Kiss me.

What?

Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable.

Yes they do.

And with that, she had kissed Steve Rogers.

It was ... different than what she had been expecting. Maybe just because he was Captain America and she was used to him being flawless that it wasn't that good. But him being from the forties and the element of surprise probably had thrown him off to. Later in the car, though she had asked him questions, hoping to learn more about the past, something that had been avoided for a long time.

Nobody special then?

Believe it or not, it's kinda hard to find someone with shared life experience.

That's okay, just make something up

What like you?

Truth is a matter of circumstance, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I.

That's a hard way to live.

Yeah, it's a good way not to die though.

She'd paused.