*Official Glader*

*Official Glader*

Newt returned later, his face solemn through the slits in the window.

"They're still deciding what to do with you," he muttered uneasily, anger ebbing in his voice. "Bloody shanks! What do they think they're doing!? Just 'cause you're a bloody girl!" His voice was a growly mess, riddled with rage and annoyance.

I slowly scrambled up and walked over to the window, staring straight into Newt's eyes. "Hey," I soothed, gripping the planks of wood with my hands. "Calm down, 'kay? At least they're not going to kill me."

He sighed and, to my surprise, placed his hand on top of mine.

"I promise you, I'll get you out of there. They've just gotta see that you're one of us." His hand was clammy as it clenched mine. I smiled reassuringly and nodded.

"It'll be alright."

"Hey, Newt!" He turned in surprise, and I saw Alby draw closer to the Slammer. His arms were folded firmly over his chest. His lips were tight. "Get over here." He paused a few paces away, glaring expectantly at him. Newt quickly turned back to me, squeezed my hand, then confronted the Leader of the Glade.

They immersed into somewhat of a heated discussion, in which fingers were pointed at me several times, and raised voices echoed through the clearing. Though the voices were muffled, I caught my name amongst the snatches of conversation. They were obviously talking about me.

After a while, Alby stared at me for a long moment, then nodded, a look of defeat visible on his features. He stalked away with meaningful strides and Newt returned looking pleased with himself.

"They're going to let you become an official Glader. Alby's gonna give you a proper tour tomorrow, then you'll be designated a certain job after a trial at each one. Everything should work out fine."

I grinned and thrust a hand through the bars. He frowned at it.

"Shake it, you shank."

He grinned and took my hand. But instead of shaking it, he raised it to his lips and kissed it lightly. A tingle instantly washed through my hand, and my breath hitched in my throat.

He merely chuckled and bowed. "And now, allow the knight to rescue the princess from her dungeon," he muttered and disappeared.

A moment later, the keys jangled in the lock and the door clanked open. Newt was leaning against the doorframe with a smug look on his face.

I giggled. "Why, thank you!"

I knew we were being stupid, especially in a situation as odd as ours, but you needed a little fun in times likes these. It's what gets you through it.

I curtsied awkwardly and stepped into the crisp air of the Glade. I grinned at Newt, but before we could fit another word in, a young boy almost collided with us, gasping for breath.

"N-newt! You gotta... you gotta come! Qui-quickly!" He spluttered, clutching his side.

Newt glanced at him in alarm. "What is it?"

"Minho's been attacked!"