*Under the Stars*

*Under the Stars*

The doors smacked shut with a resonating rumble. Newt and I were still in the deadheads, leaning against the tree. Our shoulders were touching, but I didn't mind. It felt comforting, having someone near me. Although the bark was still slightly rough against my back, I didn't mind that either.

We stayed silent for a while, breathing in the cool night air as it washed over our bare faces and arms.

Soon enough, the coal horizon was peppered with twinkling lights. It made me feel a sense of hope. A sense of joy, seeing them. There's a world out there; somebody was staring at these same stars and wondering about life. As I was.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Newt said quietly.

"Very."

My eyes swam through the sky, picking out the brightest star I could find. It was the one directly above us.

"Rowan," Newt said, his voice a soft whisper. He paused. "I think.... I think I'm going to get some sleep now."

My heart jolted, then sank. All at once. I thought he was going to say something else. I hoped he was going to say something else.

I nodded and leaned back. I was also beginning to feel sleepy; a wave of exhaustion rippled through me and my eyes fluttered closed.

Within a matter of minutes, the gentle sound of breathing and the soft chatter of the Gladers sent me to sleep.

~

I awoke with a yawn. My back felt stiff and sore against the bark and I shuffled around, trying to relieve it from it's numbness.

I frowned. My hands clenched something scratchy and warm. A blanket? Who put a blanked on me... us?

I looked to my right and grinned. Newt's head was leaning against my shoulder. He was still asleep; his chest rising and falling slowly under the cover. His mouth was slightly parted and his hair was ruffled.

He looked so adorable asleep. I didn't want to wake him, but I had to. I gentle shook his shoulder, and jolted up with surprise.

"Hey, sleepy head!" I greeted, punching him lightly in the shoulder.

"You've probably just bloody woken up too!" He protested in a growly voice. He glanced at the blanket in confusion. "Who put this on me... us..." His eyes widened.

"Find my shoulder a comfy enough pillow?" I asked casually as I pushed myself up from the ground, my back clicking in protest.

He glared at me, but then his gaze softened and he laughed. "Better than the bloody tree."

"Let's get some breakfast."

We left the blanket where it was and sauntered away to the Food Shack, where the other Gladers were already eating.

"Hurry up, Rowan. Get to the Builders in five minutes." Alby approached, looking annoyed. As usual.

"What!?" I shrieked. He merely glared at me and stalked off. Five minutes to eat and get ready?!

Newt shot me an apologetic glance and brought me back some breakfast so I didn't have to wait in the queue.

"Thanks," I muttered, biting into an apple. Newt nodded and walked away.

A moment later, Chuck appeared by my side, grinning like a maniac.

He was a sweet little kid.

"Hey, Chuck!"

"Hey. Did you enjoy spending the night under the stars?"

I stared at him in shock, almost choking on my apple. He put the blanket on us?

"You did that?"

He nodded and laughed. "You're welcome!"

I lightly punched his shoulder and grinned. He was a great friend. He laughed and stared at me intently.

"So... you two dating?" An eyebrow shot up.

Luckily I'd already swallowed my mouthful, or I'd seriously be with the Medjacks right now. "What!? No, of course not!" Even as I said it, I felt a pang of longing. I wanted to say the opposite. "We're just... friends."

"That's what they all say," he muttered, shaking his head, almost disapprovingly.

"Get over here, shank!" I glanced up and saw Gally was glaring at me. "Now!"

I sighed. "See you later, Chuck."