Chapter 3

Kalista:

I drop Winter off at school, kissing her forehead before watching her walk inside the building. I sigh and turn to see Kara standing there, a tray and baggie in hand.

"Off to do Cat's dirty work?" I question.

"She is my boss." Kara retorts. I nod and open the door to my car.

"Did you need a ride?"

"Sure." Kara opens the passenger door and gets in. I start it and we head to CatCo.

I drop her off and head to the building across the street: my work.

I step out of the vehicle. I grab my briefcase and blazer from the backseat, noticing a few crumbs from Winter's breakfast laying in the crevice of the leather. I dust it off and close the door, making my way towards the big glass doors.

"Kalista!" I pause and turn to see Rion sprinting in my direction. She stops just before plowing into me and she rests a hand on my shoulder, bending over slightly to catch her breath.

"Kal, you're not gonna want to go in there." She wheezes. I glance down at her hand and take a step back, not in the mood to deal with her shenanigans.

"Its called work, Rion. I have to go inside." I turn back to the building and open the heavy doors, and step inside.

"Kalista!" I hear my name being screamed from my boss's office. I roll my eyes and head in that direction, dropping off my things at my desk before making my way into his office.

"Sir? You called?" He looks at me, his face red with anger. He clicks a button and some guy enters the screen, a picture of Kara in her superhero suit alongside it.

"Leave it to media magnet, Cat Grant, to put a name to a face. Miss Grant dubbed National City's new female hero, Supergirl."

"That's the dumbest name ever. Its like Superman." I mutter.

"Oh, you think its dumb? Miss Grant certainly doesn't." He seethes at me. I roll my eyes and lean on one leg, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Are you mad because I didn't think of the name first or something? You're the boss here, Mark. You're the head honcho. You're supposed to be coming up with names, not your lackeys."

"You're right, Kalista. I am the boss. I am the boss and for too long I've let you run your mouth, and do your own thing. You're terminated, Kalista. You have an hour to get your things and get out." My arms drop and my mouth opens in shock. He points towards the door and motions me to go.

"Alright. I see. That's fine. You'll get yours, Mark." I turn and walk out. I pack my things into a box and head for the exit.

"Kalista! Wait up!" I could hear Rion's heels tapping the ground as she jogged towards me. "Where are you going?" She asks, noticing the box in my hands.

"I got fired, Rion. Mark fired me because Cat got the name Supergirl before I did. Meanwhile, here I am, busy working with Supergirl. Here I am making sure she's not gonna destroy the city that I've called home since I landed here." I seethe. "She cost me my job. She cost me my family. She's cost me everything, and what does she get for it? Being dubbed a hero. She gets to work in close relation with Alex and Hank. She gets awarded for destroying me." I shake my head. "And I think I'm gonna do something about that." I turn and continue to my car.