6

I found solace in the strangest place
Way in the back of my mind
I saw my life in a stranger's face
And it was mine

Alive// Sia

.

16th January 1951
The border between
North and South Korea

JAEHYUN SQUINTED his eyes, as he slowly brought his sweaty hand in front of his face, trying to repair himself from the bright light of the sun.
As much as it hurt, the guy really wanted to see the shining flaming star: a disgrace and at the same time a blessing to his existence.

Great and mighty, with endless piercing hot rays: piercing, like the way Father Lee's words felt on his skin the day before, hot like the human warmth the priest gave the younger through his message of strength and peace.

The hours spent with the older, made the boy realize that not everything was actually lost - as we all know, hope dies last.
Amazing how such a long, yet interesting conversation gave him the energy necessary to look at life with positive eyes and an open heart.

An uncountable series of encouragingly statements that made him realize that maybe it was way too soon to give up on life.

The boy disappeared from the enemies' sight, after setting various traps, and approached his usual spot.
He cautiously made sure that no one would bother him and sat down on the hard soil.

Jaehyun then took his diary from the internal pocket of his messy uniform as usual,
from where he also grabbed a pen as usual and started writing his thoughts, as usual.

"This is probably the only good habit I have now..."

The soldier thought within himself, chuckling bitterly.

His slender fingers opened the journal: the relaxing sound of the pages sliding, kind of isolated him from the rest of the scenery.

A man of war that magically leaves the trench and finally embraces his intellectual nature.

Dear diary,

I've been thinking a lot about the encounter I had with Father Lee: even though we met each other for the first time that same day, I literally had no problem to open up to him. I honestly felt like talking to a dear friend, a parent may I even say.

As Taeyong previously said, he is indeed a good person. He clearly has good intentions and that makes me really feel secure and protected in a certain way.

What if he's an angel sent from above?
After all, he appeared the same day I felt like giving up, on the day I decided that my grieve was enough and that it was time for someone else to grieve for me as well...

My thoughts may be silly, but it's kind of cool thinking about it in this way.

We should look at things with a slight humor, in this way maybe happiness will stop walking off from us.

Many were the things that helped me with my pain, you know?

The amazing fact that I am able to write to you, it's a luck itself:
I am still breathing,
I am alive.

And you know what got me the most?
The heart desires of a believer.

Father Lee assured me that one of the most big miracles happening to someone who truly believes, is the actual realization of his or hers heart desire.

I don't know about you, but this sounds so fascinating to me.

I wonder if my wish will come to pass as well.

Never say never...

...❞

Jaehyun closed his diary, while taking a deep breath and raising his head up to the sky, only to meet Taeyong's curious gaze

«What's up, Taeyong?»

The brown haired male asked, raising an eyebrow and quietly waiting for the other's reply.
But unlike the expected, the older's answer never came. Instead he just stared at the sitting boy, grinning like a kid.

Taeyong then decided to take a seat as well, still smiling at the friend who gave him a weird and confused look

«I'm happy to see that you're recovering well.»

The male confessed staring at his fellow with sincere eyes.

Jaehyun slowly nodded, as a small smile appeared on his face, which lightened up as soon as the latter seemed to notice his progress.

He then realized that Taeyong was going to say something else, so he quietly waited for him to continue speaking

«I know that this is kind of rude, but I caught a glimpse of what you wrote in there and I got curious...»

he almost whispered, while laughing nervously and scratching the back of his neck as he pointed at Jaehyun's journal who quickly understood what the friend actually got curious about.

«You want to know what's my heart desire, right?»

He asked placing his hand under his chin, trying to look thoughtful.

Taeyong quickly nodded, happy and satisfied with their telepathy.

The younger then adverted his gaze from the other male and deeply stared at the dead scenery in front of them.
A loud silence kept them company for awhile, till when the younger finally decided to speak

«My desire is very simple: I wish to have another life, another chance to live and to give my best to the people around me.
I want to be a new and better version of myself, to help and cute my brethrens,
to love and cherish my dear ones.

To be a better man for Reira and to protect her, to give her the life and the warmth she deserves, for she did so for me as well. Till time and death didn't separate us obviously...»

Jaehyun calmly explained, as tears started to form at the corner of his eyes and his voice cracked a bit.

Taeyong on the other side, wrapped his arms around the younger's figure, engulfing him in a tight hug.
He gently rubbed his back, hoping that by doing so, the boy would calm down a bit.

«You are already a better version of yourself, Jung Jaehyun.»

unedited

Author note:

This chapter is so
short argh!! SORRY.

So how was it? boring? cool?
(this
is a filler anyways oof jajsnzkzj)

Speaking of the
final part of the chapter
I have a question for you
as well...

Do y'all have a wish?
What is it about?