18

If I could only do it for you
i learned I can do anything
if you could only shine brighter
even if I become darkness

I am you// Stray kids

.

THE BUILDING started getting emptier, as one by one all the workers that ended their daylight shift said their goodbyes and the night watchers came in.

The weak lights of the various patients' room lit up the hallway Jaehyun was walking through, as he gently whistled an old song and slid his hands in the warm pockets of his coat. The male's eyes wandered around, memorizing the already familiar sections of the hospital and remembering the nostalgic years of when he first stepped in the place.

He was so young, yet he had the spirit and the gaze of who saw many of the life's injustices. With the energy of a newborn and the wisdom of an elder he quickly made his way through the world of science, soon becoming one of the most active surgeons in Seoul.

«Hey Jae, it looks like someone actually kept her promise.»

Mark casually informed, while floating on top of the other's head and slowly spinning around while keeping an eye on who looked like Reira.

She was patiently standing outside the entrance, her tall figure trembled in the midst of an harsh cold atmosphere decorated with dissolving puffs of air escaping her chapped lips. Then joining her hands together and brushing them against each other, she smiled at the sight of the brunette male ending his long day of work, ready to go home and rest.

«Shall we go?»

Reira asked tilting her head to the left, towards where the road to the lively center of the city started.

The walk was initially silent, surprisingly outside movies and fictions two strangers didn't had much to talk about. They could try to get each other better, but all the useful and actually interesting information were already exposed and no one seemed to have intention to know more - for now.

Going deeper into one's soul surely had its advantages and wonders, yet it was also risky if done without taking time and care.

The heart of the capital was glowing with Christmas' lights, with its decorations almost being set by the many people taking part to the town's "dressing": above the flood of citizens who strolled under the romantic and warm scenario, where men and women of every age busy working on beautifying the streets and the buildings which gave in them. The tree already rose up high, occupying a quite reasonable amount of the main square's space, as tourists stood beneath it with the intent to fill their social profiles with cute, yet cliche selfies.

Reira hummed along the " Jingle bells " being played and sung by some artists near a kiosk. A smile creeped on her flushed face, making her eyes slightly close in two crescents and a pair of dimples appear at the corner of her lips.

Jaehyun quietly stared at her, his heart being merry at the sight of her happy new friend.
He chuckled at himself, when he realized that he was already falling for her, but in actual fact he never stopped loving her.

Not even death could cease his feelings,
not even afterlife.

He breathed heavily, letting the sweet scent of hot tteok-bokki pervading his lungs: how he missed wandering around downtown and eating street food with his friends and family, he had to admit that it has been a while.

«I'm hungry. I'll treat you some good tteok-bokki!»

Jaehyun suddenly said startling Reira, who was a bit caught off guard by his sudden outburst. Her smile became wider, as she nodded in approval and ran to the stand where the dish mentioned above was sold

«Can I have some too? You've never treated me once!»

Mark confessed, while tapping the doctor's shoulder and pouting at him.

The two exchanged some weird looks, moved their attention to the female occupied with the purchase of the food ans then back at each other.

Jaehyun furrowed his eyebrows and nervously scratched the back of his neck, before mumbling a low "Another time, I promise..." to the angel.
The other one just glared at him after hearing his answer, started sulking and waved higher avoiding any eye-contact.

Mad angels were quite something.

Resuming their walk, the two young adults loosened up the tension and started speaking comfortably: although Jaehyun was trying to hide it, it was obvious that he was struggling with the rules given to him before starting this new life.

Meeting a person you spent years and years with and having to behave like strangers wasn't easy, nor acting like you knew nothing about him or her.

The hardest part of the agreement?

Living with the fear of making the same mistake again and again.

The male unconsciously stopped walking - his steps coming to an alt.
Glancing at Reira with wide eyes, he facepalmed himself and got reminded of something very important

«I came back with you by foot, but I actually went to work with my car..!»

the female chuckled at the clumsy guy, while trying not to get choked by her food as she repeatedly punched her chest and the corner of her eyes became teary

«Too late dummy, you're already at home.»

she said coughing and grinning at the same time.

Jaehyun immediately turned to the left, confirming what the lady had just said: he indeed have reached his house, without even realizing it.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he mentally cursed himself for being so forgetful and foolish when the door of the first floor of his habitation opened, revealing a petite woman curiously peeking out towards their direction

«Jae? Jae, welcome home!»

she greeted approaching the gate that separated her from the other two.

The elder got out and went to squish her son's cheeks, while asking him how his day went. She soon realized that they weren't alone and attentively stared at Reira, her features squeezing in a frown

«Have we met before, miss..?»

«Reira! Song Reira!»

the young female nervously exclaimed bowing down.

Small drops of sweat started forming on her temples, while her face magically turned into a bright tomato and her heartbeat increased like the cold surrounding them.

«Are you his girlfriend? I swear I've seen you somewhere though.»

Jaehyun's mother wondered, adjusting her small round glasses and scouting closer to the younger.

At that time Mark stepped down and swung an arm around the doctor's shoulders, gesturing him to dismiss the florist and go in with his mum.

He noticed that things may get ugly, if he wasn't careful enough so he made sure that Reira safely got home and entered in, finally getting some rest after a long day of work.

He dragged his feet to the second floor of the building, opening the door that gave in in his apartment. He let his body heavily fall on the bed, as his hands ran through his chocolate hair whispering to himself

«The test is finally starting.»

unedited.