1 | Mira

Monday, November 25, 2019 | 11:35 am

Mira had never wanted to punch a teacher so badly in her life.

    She'd never been one to get into trouble or start fights, and every time a superior had said something disagreeable she always kept her mouth shut and minded her own business, but this man had been going on this tangent for the first fifteen minutes of class and each word that came out of his mouth felt like nails on a chalkboard to her ears. The issue had been a controversial one among her people ever since modern society emerged, but it seemed the opposing viewpoint was taking popularity.

    Shut up, fit in. Do what they say, don't cause trouble.

    The blonde's leg bounced like crazy, and she had her fingers in her hair. She was nervous to say something; so nervous to stand up for what just a few others in the classroom were thinking, and she wanted nothing more than to follow her nature and blend in.

    She glanced down at her wrist, a silver chain adorning it, a silent reminder of what she was. What she could do.

    Eventually, the pressure building up in her chest was becoming too much to bear. She grabbed the pendant of her necklace, holding onto it with a death grip as she abruptly stood. The instructor at the front of the class fell silent, looking at her odd.

    "Sir, may you-" Please shut up?

    As the adrenaline was building up in her core, she fought herself to keep her cool. Defeated, she forced her shoulders to relax.

    "May I.. May I please go to the restroom?"

    "No, you should have gone before class began. You had all of lunch-"

    "Please-! Sir," She struggled to keep control of her voice ,"It's um.. It's a lady thing."

    With a sigh, the teacher waved her to go. She quickly, without another word, collected her backpack and left the classroom with no intention of coming back. She felt several pairs of eyes on her back as she left the classroom and entered the hallway. There, she stopped for a moment, enjoying the sudden silence. She took a deep breath and continued on to the restroom.

    Damn stupid teacher. She thought to herself, finally letting go of the chain around her neck. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to put him in charge?

    Mira entered the women's restroom, scrunching her nose a little. God, for being one of the most elite academies of magic, it seemed no one knew how to flush a toilet. Her suspicions were confirmed when she opened each of the three stalls. Disgusting.

    "Screw this, they'll look for me here anyway." She muttered, leaving the restroom to head down a few floors of the building. It took her a minute, but she finally reached the Freshman floor. Her eyes hardened, still a bit angered by her teacher's antics, she chose a classroom door and entered. The occupants paused a second to see who their new guest was, but eventually went back to the lecture once their teacher started speaking again.

    Mira didn't say anything as she went around the teacher's desk, plopping down in a rolly chair and staring at her phone, gracious for the break. It was far enough into her class that her teacher had already taken attendance, so she didn't have to worry about getting a call home later.

    "So what brings you to my class today, Mira?" A happy voice asks. When she looked up, she noticed the students were all doing classwork and the teacher had stopped lecturing.

    "Ugh, Mrs. Swift, King was at it again." The blonde lowered her forehead to the teacher's desk, groaning some. "We should all just stay out of trouble and use our magic for our jobs only. Bullshit. Who thought it was a good idea to put him in front of a bunch of impressionable teenagers? Geez." She lifted her head, looking up at her former teacher again. She straightened her uniform jacket. "It breaks my heart that people think they have to hide who they are like that."