5 | Ella

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 | 11:55 am

    "Hailey, I can't believe you're involved in something like this and you didn't even tell me!" Ella exclaimed as they walked toward their destination, excitement threatening to bubble over in the girl. The fact that she was going to be able to actively rein in her curse hit her at about midnight, and she had barely been able to sleep since then.

    "I hope you can understand why." Hailey smiled at her, glancing around as they spoke. When Ella noticed this, she dropped the subject. Of course, she shouldn't speak about it in these busy streets.

    The rest of the walk was made with idle chat between the three. They reached the office building, got their IDs, and checked in.

    The third floor seemed very homely despite it being an office space. Everyone had different things adorning their desks, giving her subtle hints at their personalities.

    "That's Mai, right over there." She heard Hailey say, and she noticed a tall, intimidating looking woman over in the back waving to her. So, this was going to be her mentor? She nodded to Hailey and went over to greet the woman.

    "Hi there, Mrs. Li. I'm Ella Morris."

    "I've read a lot about you. Let's get to work." Mrs. Li said bluntly, opening a manila folder with a bunch of printed off outlines of people, half of them male and half of them female. Ella glanced at them, a little bit confused, but more trying to figure out what she was going to do with these.

    "This will be your assignment for the rest of the week. I'd like to see where you're at." Mrs. Li slid the folder to Ella. "You'll fill as many of these out as use can. Keep colored pencils on you at all times. When your vision comes around, because I know you can't control it yet, I want you to focus on at least one person at a time and draw their aura. That includes size and color, I heard you're an artist so I'm hoping this exercise won't be too difficult for you. Include their name and age on the paper if you can. I at least want everyone here in Guild 3 by Friday."

    "Okay.." Ella looked around the office, noting that everyone was present at the time. If she were lucky, she might be able to get the required amount done by today. "How is this going to help me, though?"

    "I'm a strong believer that you need to be able to understand before you control the sight. At the end of the week, we'll sit down and discuss what you have and what they might mean. I want to know what you've come to understand before discussing what things actually mean. I'll be out of the office all of next week, so it's important that I get you started as soon as possible."

    "Oh, why will you be out?"

    "Not that it's any of your business, but my wife is having surgery Monday. I just need to be home to help her around."

    Ouch. Her tone was a little harsh, but Ella was a bit interested in the fact that Mrs. Li had a wife. Not to judge, but the woman seemed like she'd be more interested in men. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover. Maybe this was something they can connect on? So far, Ella was falling short on how to crack this woman.

    "Oh, my girlfriend had surgery recently herself!" Ella said, smiling. "Although it wasn't serious or anything, she just had her wisdom teeth removed. It was pretty funny watching the videos her mom took with the laughing gas."

    "Is that so?" Mrs. Li responded distantly, not looking up from the papers she was seemingly working on.

    Okay, maybe this wasn't something they'd connect on, but Ella was going to keep trying anyway. This was going to be her mentor until the Summer after all, and if she were lucky, maybe even a work colleague.

    Ella ended up being right. By the end of the day, she had everyone in the office drawn up except for Ayana and Hailey, who had left soon after she arrived. She was most impressed by Aldritch and Mira's auras, though.

While Mira's was very faint, it was light blue with licks of aqua. She didn't see mixed colors very often, but it often meant there were some sort of conflict or change going in with a person. The meanings she knew behind aqua and light blue were very similar in some aspects, so she was interested in why she had both.

Aldritch on the other hand had the most ginormous, opaque, golden aura she had ever scene. She saw Aldritch as a leader, and her theory on colors just backed that up. His aura gave a strong radiance of power, and while she drew it, she came to notice that Aldritch had not one, but two bracelets on.

The bracelets were government issued to suppress a mages powers. All mages had them, but the fact that someone was required to wear two meant that they must have some serious power.

At the end of the day, she showed what she had to Mrs. Li, and they exchanged some ideas on why this might be the case. Before she left, they also exchanged phone numbers, and then went on their separate ways.

Although she still didn't see the point in doing this exercise for the entire week, Ella was still excited to come back and train her curse with Mrs. Li.