Chapter 2

CHRIS MCCARTHY

I just said goodbye to my friends because I was planning on not going to school this afternoon. I felt my headache.

While was staring at my lock screen. What's happening, my girl? I heard that a detective is gonna talk to Shekinah. Mind to tell me? I smiled like a stupid guy. Call me later, ya?

"Chris..." I know that voice. I felt my shirt got soaked. Not literally though. She was crying.

"Hey... What's wrong?" I asked.

"I-ianna." She held my shirt tighter. I hope it's not what I think it is.

"Calm down first, ya? She's fine." I lowered my head.

"No... No... She's fine now. I bet she's watching us from above." No...

"W-what do you mean?" Tears started to build up in my eyes. "This can't be it."

"Yes, Chris. It is. She was so happy but she's happier now." I tried to smile to hide the tears away.

"Are you sure about that?" I started crying with her. "No. Nooo! What the!? No! She's the only girl in my heart. Yet she left too."

"Don't cry too! It makes me cry more, stupid!" She yelled at me and wiped all her tears away. "Ianna hates seeing us crying. She loves us so let's not cry..." Her voice was breaking.

"If only I could turn back time... I could have told her she's the only girl I'll ever love. I could have held her tighter. I could have kissed her. I could have give her my all. I could ha-"

"I said stop! Ianna never wanted to hurt us. That's why let's not cry. We should be happy that she's all better now." She smiled. A real smile.

Knowing that Ianna is in the best place where she can never experience pain anymore, I smiled too.

-

I'mma just lay down for a while. I stared at the ceiling of my room. There was no one home. Mom is probably busy at work and Dad's probably with Ianna right now.

I let out a deep sigh and decided to take a nap because hell! My head aches.

-

"Chris.. Wake up, honey." I hear someone but I just groan. "This it's me. I'm right here. It's alright." I opened my eyes hoping it was Ianna. Only to find out, it is my mom.

"Mom..." I hugged her tight. "You're home early."

"Yeah right. Early in the morning. It's in the middle of the night, dear."

"What?" I checked my watch. "Oh. I thought it's only 6 pm." She laughed.

"Have you eaten?" I swung my head. "Let's go somewhere to eat. I'm hungry too."

"Okay! I'll just change my clothes." She nodded and head out. "Wait... Does she know Ianna is de... Nope still can't say the word."

-

"Where are we going? We've been driving for hours, mom." I said. "We're also out of town."

"I know. I just want you to taste Tummy Clinic." I laughed.

"What's that?" I laughed again.

"It's a food house here. It can cure hungry tummies." She laughed too. "It's quite ironic though. I love the name."

"Yeah, me too. Did you come here often?" I asked her.

"Nope. Just once with Maegan."

"Your officemate?" She nodded.

"Yeah." She parked outside a very old-fashion restaurant. "Here it is."

"Woah! This is nice." We got out of the car.

-

While we were waiting, I was texting Lucy but she never replied.

"Are you okay?" Mom asked me.

"Mmm." I nodded. "I can't reach Lucy." I dropped my phone on the table.

"What about her?"

"Uhh. Let's just say Ianna's... Off somewhere more special than here." I faked a smile.

"So you mean to tell me, she's de-"

"Nope! She's just with dad." Still smiling.

"Oh, gosh..." She placed her hands of her chest and looked down. "I'm so sorry, Chris."

"Mom! Don't cry. She hates seeing people she loves crying!" I scolded my mom who's literally crying in front of me.

I fought back my tears. Mom wiped her tears and smiled. I know she's in pain too.

"Carbonara?" The waiter said. I took my plate. He placed the other in front of my mom.

"Thanks, dude."

We ate and laughed about stuffs. I tried not to bring Ianna as our topic.

-

"Chris, honey, can you go get me some water over there?"

"Sure, mom." I stood up and went to where she pointed at. I heard a loud laugh from a table with about 7 people.

"Was it because she ran or is it just me!?" A guy with an updo hair asked and they all laughed.

"Nope! It's just you!" A girl with a perfect shade of light brown hair said and laughed too.

"Ianna..." I said with a low voice. I can't stop staring at her eyes. It almost looks like Ianna's. Only, her eyes are blue and Ianna has brown eyes.

I felt my shoes getting soaked. "Shit!" I forgot about the water. Ugh!

"Yow, homie. You alright?" The updo guy asked me. They were all staring at me.

"Yeah, bro. I'm sorry about the curse." I excused myself.

-

"Mom..." I said slowly.

"Mmm?" She said but was busy driving.

"I think I saw Ianna." I said and she looked at me as if I am crazy. "I swear, a girl was almost like her. Only the girl has a light brown hair and blue eyes." My mom just laughed.

"Are you sure it was really her?"

"Of course not. Maybe I was just hallucinating." I said and looked out of the window of our car. I wish I really saw her.