Chapter 14

I visited David's Dad at the hospital after the phone call but I started losing connections with them. We didn't go to the beach the next summer because I had summer school and we had to get Timmy ready for college. I've wondered everyday how his Dad is doing. Last time I saw him he was already losing his hair from the chemo therapy and had a tube in his nose.

The year went by fast and a lot has changed. I'm eighteen now. A senior in high school. Confused about her life.

It's already been a year since I last talked to David and I think we just drifted away. I talked to Sofie while at the hospital last year and she said their family just needed some time for a while and that David hasn't been doing so well with the diagnoses and that he has been mildly depressed.

Another year has gone by since my brother started college and I am almost done with my Senior year of High School and got excepted to Priceton University. I still wonder if I should call David and check on him or if I should wait for him. I haven't talked to him since 1994 and now it's 1996. And since then I have been singing for talent shows at school, playing piano and getting better each day. I've even written songs to play.

Now, 1996, I was just laying on my couch watching a rerun of Boy Meets World.

"So Tommy's coming home for spring break." My Dad said. "Maybe we can go to the beach, movies, anything. Like old times."

"Yeah, sure." I said not really caring.

"You have been acting weird lately." My Dad said just staring at me as he looked through the mail and whispered "Bills"

"It's nothing." I replied.

"It doesn't seem like nothing."

I sighed. "I just want to be alone." I got up and walked away to my room.

"Well, I'm here." Dad said as I slammed my door and fell down on my bed.

I have been in a deep depression since I lost all connections with David. Dad has tried to get me help but nothing worked out. David was my first love; I have dated in the past two years but no one came close to David.

You never forget about your first love, your true love is the one you stay up at night thinking about. They are the ones that mean everything to you. True love is putting someone else's needs before you're own. That's how I have always felt about David. I never kept him off my mind. That must have been how my Mom must have felt about me, my brother and my Dad. She loved us.

I decided to get on my computer to write a report. But getting my mind off of David was hard.

Focus, Mason. You are not in love anymore...

That was a total lie. I was in love. I was in deep love with him and I couldn't let go.