Prologue

*Flashback*

I was about five years old. My best friend Jack, my father Stoick and I were playing hide and seek. My father had to search for us while Jack and I were hidden under the table. "Where are you? Come out! Come out!" Father called for us. "Come on out! I'm coming to get you..." Jack and I giggled. "Where are you, you little rascals? I'm coming to get you!" Just before he took a look under the table, we slipped away. "Where is my little birthday boy? I'm going to gobble him up when I find him." Jack and I giggled again as we tried to sneak onto dad's back. He turned and caught us before we could run away. He grabbed us both in one time. "I'm going to eat you! I am." We squeaked as we tried to escape. Dad was caught off guard when he heard Gobber laying his sword on the table we hid under. "Gobber, no weapons on the table." He let go of us, so we ran to the table.

"Can we fight Gobber? Can we? Can we? Can we? Can we?" We asked together. We dragged the sword off the table. "Please? Can we?" By the weight of the sword we fell down and landed on each other.

"Not with that", Gobber answered laughing. "Why not use... your very own", he suggested, as he pulled out two little swords he made himself. Jack's eyes gleamed as we looked at each other.

Tsjing!, the metal sound of the swords sounded as we tried to hit each other. Although they were made for kids, they were very heavy and we could barely hold them up. Gobber gave us instructions while dad looked at us concerned and we kept duelling. "Now... that's a good one, boy", he said to me, as I swung the sword to Jack in the opposite direction I'd tried to hit him before. He was startled and the sword flew out off his hands, right into the woods.

"Oops", I said, an apologizing look in my eyes as I turned to Jack.

"Go and fetch it, then", dad urged us. I dropped my own sword and Jack and I ran off to find his sword. "A sword, Gobber? He's supposed to be a peaceful chief", I heard dad say against Gobber. "You!" Followed a few seconds later. We had already ran off, Jack a few steps for me.

"Wait for me!" I yelled. He slowed down and we both kept walking through the forest.

"You see it yet?" Jack whispered.

"No", I answered, also whispering. For some reason it felt wrong to just speak at a normal tone. I saw something shiny from the corner of my eye. "There!" I whisper-yelled. We both ran to the sword, the point stuch in a fallen tree. I had to help Jack to pull it out of the tree. We heard something crack. We tried to find the thing that caused the sound, with no results. Until I turned around. A little blue flame hung int the air. I pulled Jack's sleeve, so he turned around and saw the flame too. "A will-o'-the-wisp", we both said in unison. We tried to catch it, but is quickly disappeared as soon as we touched it.

"They are real", Jack whispered excited. We watched in awe as more wisps appeared, forming a line. We followed them, soon coming out of the forest.

"Hiccup, Jack, come along sweethearts!" Dad yelled. The last wisp disappeared and we both ran to the two adults waiting for us. "We're leaving now."

"We saw a wisp!" Jack happily announced. "We saw a wisp", he repeated panting heavily.

"A wisp?" dad asked. We nodded. "You know, some say that will-o'-the-wisps lead yo to your fate."

"Aye. Or a sword", Gobber mocked. "Come on, let's be off before we see a dancing Nightfury. Or a Whispering Dead having a jigger in the bluebells." Dad rolled his eyes and picked us up, both sitting on one of his arms.

"Gobber doesn't believe in other magic than dragons", he told us.

"Well, he should. Because it's true", I stated. Dad nodded, but before we reached his dragon a shadow fell over us. Jack and I screamed by seeing the enormous black dragon and we drew the attention of the warriors.

"Bloodvist! Stoick, run!" Gobber shouted. The warriors gathered around the dragon as dad ran off to bring me and Jack into safety. "Come on you!" I heard Gobber yell before we lost him out of sight.

*End flashback*

Some say our destiny is tied to the land, as much as we are a part of it. others say fate is woven together, like a cloth. So that one's destiny entertwines with many others'. It's the one thing we search for or fight to change. Some never find it. But there are some who are led.