No Fate But My Own: Chapters 21-25

No Fate But My Own

Chapter 21

Lauren shifted uncomfortably in her seat as the silence and tension in The Ashes office made Lauren wish there was a window. The room was quite large by regular office standards but right now it felt small, enclosed. The doctor closed her eyes and took a deep calming breath trying desperately for the claustrophobic feeling to subside. She reopened her eyes after several more breaths and noted that The Ash was watching her. His eyes held a kind of sadness and she realised that the agitation that she had sensed when first arriving hadn't been directed at her.

"Lauren? Are you feeling unwell?" The Ash started to rise from his chair as if to come around the desk and check on her.

The doctor raised her hand. "I'm fine Sir. Please, don't get up."

Samuel bowed his head and returned to his chair. "I guess you are wondering why I have called you here."

"Well I thought it was about my work until Trick told me he was here to see you as well." Lauren looked from The Ash to a silent Trick beside her. She turns her gaze back to her boss. "Can we just cut through the pleasantries and get down to why I'm here. I could cut the tension in this room with a scalpel it's so thick. I want to know why Trick is apologising to me and why you keep looking at me like you are my father and you don't know how to tell me that my dog died!"

Lauren caught The Ash frown before he schooled his face to his usual blank expression. The only thing that betrayed him were his eyes. They still held some of the emotion that his face no longer showed. "Very well Dr Lewis...Lauren. A few days ago Trick came into this office and revealed to me his true identity. That he is indeed The Blood King, long thought dead and not just the friendly way-keeper of the Dal." It was Lauren's turn to keep her surprise from showing on her face as Samuel continued to speak. " After proving his identity and asking for his ancestral crown to be returned to him we conversed on several important issues that the Light is facing right now. Since the attack on the compound we have been weakened politically by the loss of several high ranking members of the council. The fae in this county had already been getting restless and outspoken since Bo's trials and her refusal to choose a side."

Lauren opened her mouth automatically to defend Bo. "She wasn't raised in this world. She knew nothing of the fae and their laws. You can't keep blaming..." Lauren stopped when she felt Tricks hand on her arm.

She looked at him and he gave her a gentle smile. "Lauren. Samuel isn't attacking Bo and her choice. He is just talking about the unforeseen repercussions that her actions had on the fae populous. It was short-sighted to put Bo through the trials without the proper training and knowledge.." Trick gives Samuel a pointed look. "But what' s done is done and now we just need to focus on bringing stability to the fae as a whole."

Lauren looked between the both of them. "I still don't understand what this has to do with me. I try to stay out of the politics. I just want to do my job and go home to the woman I love at the end of the day."

"You will know soon enough why this involves you Dr. Lewis. I asked Trick to take his place on the council and to support me in the law reforms, in exchange for the crown."

Lauren let out a small scoff before she could stop it. The Ash raised an inquisitive eyebrow at her and Lauren found herself explaining her outburst. "Uh...Sorry. It's just always a negotiation with the fae isn't it! I mean the crown is his and yet you request that Trick expose his identity to all the fae which will put him in danger from several factions of the community."

"And that is why he asked for something else in return for him joining the council. Isn't that right Blood King? Would you like to take it from here?"