26. Hypnotised

Rosie

"So he's going to be here?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers on my lap and tapping my foot repeatedly on the floor. I turned to Luke on the sofa next to me to see him nod and smile.

"He'll be here, don't worry," he said, placing a hand on my knee. "Everything will be okay."

I sucked in a breath and tried to nod confidently. My head was spinning. Luke turned up an hour ago saying Harry wanted to speak to me. He said he would explain everything, but he wouldn't reveal any more. I asked Grace to take Kayla out for a while, just in case.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, craning his head to catch my gaze.

I hadn't realised I was still holding my breath. Letting out a long sigh, my body sank into the sofa a bit. "I'm nervous. What if he gets out of control again? I just don't know him anymore. He's a stranger to me."

Luke nodded knowingly. "It may seem like that at the moment, but the old Harry will come back. I promise."

A few silent moments passed and my heartbeat was only growing faster in anticipation. My hands were clammy and my breaths shaky. Soon enough my head was in my hands and I grew hot behind the eyes. I didn't want Harry to see me like this.

A comforting arm was put around me. "Hey," Luke said softly, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Talk to me."

I wanted to, but it was easier said than done. The words were in full sentences in my head, but as soon as I wanted them to fall from my mouth, they made no sense. I stuttered for a moment before grunting and burying my head back into my hands. Luke's other arm wrapped around me and he pulled my curled-up body into him. He didn't say anything, and I was glad. He knew when not to talk and give me time to gather my thoughts.

"I've lost him," I whispered into my hands. "Everything we fought for is gone."

Luke continued with his silence. He began rocking me back and forth and I was grateful for the company. I squeezed my eyes shut and imagined it was Harry holding me like this. I'd be curled up on his lap and he'd rock me and hum a soft tune into my ear. He understood that after all this time words meant very little to me. It was actions that showed truth and promise. A simple hug or a loving look was enough to make me feel strong enough to carry on. Luke had that similar feeling.

I slowly let my hands fall from my face. Luke scooped the hair back from my face and turned my head. His crooked smile was on show, exposing the slight dent in his cheek that was close to a dimple. My eyes fell upon Luke's mouth and I never realised how pink his lips were. Just like Harry's. Or the way his cheeks would go red with nerves. Just like Harry's. Or how deep his eyes were, the mystery and darkness that always made me curious as to what had caused that.

Or the way his lips met mine, soft and tender. Every part of me would melt into his touch as his hands rested on my waist and squeezed tightly. I let out an involuntary groan, but quickly realised it was muffled. My mind snapped back into the room. The eyes I met weren't Harry's, or the hands on my waist, or the lips on mine. Everything around me became a distant blur except for Harry's half-brother looking back at me. I was frozen to the spot, unable to process how or why this was happening. It wasn't until Luke pulled back that I realised I hadn't stopped him.

We looked at each other for a long few seconds. My brain finally caught up with the rest of my body and instantly I jumped up from the sofa.

"Rosie," Luke said, his tone stern.

I ignored him, my chest begging for some fresh air. As soon as I turned to the door, my arm was gripped tightly and soon I was spun around to face Luke stood before me.