Chapter 6: New Alliances II

I ran through the woods, dodging and weaving the trees. My arms ached from the effort to keep my balance, and my body screamed at me to stop. Spasms occurred throughout my body, my tail and legs twitching at a moments notice, but I couldn't stop. I had began developing a bond with the small wolf, and if she thought something was wrong then it needed my attention. I had been drifting, unsure of what to do as the days passed by, and I think I've finally found the thing I was missing.

     I sounded out a whisper, and the map returned to me. I took a closer look at the figures on the map, and as I got closer the resolution increased. After a couple moments I managed to discern what they were: humans. My pace increased, and all thoughts of discomfort or pain took flight from my mind.

     Objects zoomed by me on my sides, and I began losing control as my limbs sprawled out more and more with each step I took. I tried to regain myself, but it ended up worse and wasn't paying attention, but a tree was happy to remind me as it slammed into my head. I stumbled around like a toddler learning how to walk, when my legs finally gave out, my head jarred from the impact.

     I tried to get up, only barely managing to stand as I stood on quaky limbs. My vision was foggy, and the world seemed to be spinning, as if I was a part of some sick ride. When my head cleared, I snapped up and dusted myself off, before running in the direction I was traveling only a moment ago.

     I let out a raspy bark, listening for a response. None. Sounds of gunshots ruptured the air, echoing through the woods and shaking my being. I barked again, straining to listen for any sign of activity. Still nothing happened, and the previous echo of the shot died into nothingness.

     When the scent of human was strongest I stumbled into a bush, camouflaging myself to observe the scene before me. Ten humans funneled towards the entrance of the cave, weapons held high. One of them was carrying a blue tablet, beeping louder as they got closer and closer to the cave. This must have been startling, as I heard movement inside of the cave, and I remembered the other three were in there.

     I tensed myself, waiting to pounce at the perfect opportunity, when a bark pierced through the air. The wolf jumped from her hiding spot and tackled one of them, bringing them down to the ground. It was a flurry of teeth and fur as she mangled the man, blood splattering on the hard stone and soaking into the soil. It went on for a moment before one of them pulled out a rifle and took aim at the canine.

     He never got the chance to fire, as I leaped from the top of the cave and brought my foot onto his chest and pierced him with my death talon, ending his pathetic existence. Three of them whirled around and fired rounds at me, but they just bounced off my hide onto the ground. I jumped forward at two of them with my arm extended, and they looked in horror at me as a fountain of crimson blood spurted from their necks.

     The other one tried to run, but I caught him by the arm and dragged him to me. It was ripped out of place and fell onto the ground with a meaty thud, and his gaping mouth was soon filled with my black talon. I screamed like a banshee at the other soldiers, who jumped around to face me. I saw a look of terror ignite in their eyes as half of them began backing away, before turning tail and running into the forest.

     Once again they tried to fire their copper bullets at me, but they only sunk into my skin a bit. I stumbled around, before collapsing onto the ground. They cautiously approached me, and I saw an opportunity to play with them. One of them held up a black square to his mouth and began speaking, and the other ones walked towards the cave again.

     "Hey, Henry, you mentioned something about that black creature?" He paced as he spoke, looking frantic.

     "Yes. I said he may be on the loose. What's going on? Do you have the specimen?" A voice crackled. They all looked at where I lay to find me gone. They gave each other a panicked look before I descended from above, catching one in my jaw. His eyes bulged as I applied pressure to his skull, and it exploded in a gory mess, painting my mouth a gleaming red.