Alexander {6]

(Apologies in advance that this chapter is shorter than previous. I thought it would be better for me to write shorter ones so I can end them at times that make more sense. Hope you enjoy! <3)

The fire crackled against the stagnant air, nearly making the night more pleasant, if not for the blood pouring onto the floor.  Crying could be discerned all throughout the halls of the manor; against the silent, endless hallways, how could Astrid Mikaelson's mourning not be heard?

"Why."  She'd stated, more than asked.  "How could you?"  Klaus Mikaelson stood still as stone, jaw clenched, with typical demeanor that had scared the pair's other siblings away.

"You were going to leave me, Astrid."  He explained, more so to himself than to the woman in front of him.  "With him."  He continued further, disgust lacing his tone at the mention of Alexander, even if it had come from his own mouth. 

"He betrayed us, sister.  What would you have had me do?  Let him walk out and about with Katerina while the three of you plotted against me?!  I may not be able to kill, or dagger you, but I still won't have you turning on me!"  She let out a soul crushing sob, nearly causing Niklaus to apologize.  Unshed tears filled his blue orbs as he stared down at his beloved sister.

This was the last thing he had ever wanted.  For her to be upset, that is.

"You murdered him."  She said.  "You murdered him, in cold blood, for trying to get his twin sister away from you."  Klaus flinched, nearly forgetting Alexander had been Katerina's twin brother.

Astrid wiped her blood soaked hands on her dress, standing tall.  "It wasn't his fault, what Katerina did.  It wasn't their family's either."  He swallowed, trying desperately to hold his stubborn, cold facade in front of his sister, only trying to prove his point.

"Get out."  She stated coldly, causing Klaus to attempt to object.  "Get out!  Now!"  She screamed, pushing him toward the door with a snarl, veins blossoming under her eyes.

Klaus gave her a guilty glance, deciding it was best to leave after all.

As soon as he was out of sight she rushed over to her beloved, all of the fighting having made it harder for Klaus to hear his waning heartbeat.  Yet Astrid knew her love's heartbeat nearly better than her own.

"Drink!"  She pleaded as she cut her wrist with her fingernail.

"So you saved him?"  Hayley stated, annoyance written all over her features. "Look-" She continued, crossing her arms over her chest, glancing around to make sure Hope wasn't eavesdropping.  "Klaus loses his temper."  She informed haughtily, clenching her jaw in warning. "He kills, he maims, occasionally he daggers his own siblings."  She drawled.

"But in the end, his family-" She stuttered, giving Astrid time to evaluate her. Depression was clear as day on her tanned skin, dark circles clouded around her green orbs causing for an almost menacing look. Astrid wasn't fooled. She knew who Hayley was to her brother, she'd known it the moment she caught her scent. She's his life mate, and she knows it.

It just took his capture for her to finally realize it.

"I-  We always come back to him. You didn't. Why?"  She accused, anger coming off of her in waves that would've been noticeable to any wolf in the proximity.

"Because I didn't save Alexander, Hayley; Nik came back, later, to check on me."  Astrid explained, regret, guilt, and sadness seeping through her usually tough facade. "That's when he finished the job."

"Nik!  Please, please God Nik no!"

Hayley's temper quickly dissipated and remorse took its place. "Hayley, I've regretted leaving every day since then. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and it only grew more difficult with time." Hayley's eyes softened as she looked to her feet.

"This doesn't mean I trust you." Hayley started, glancing up at Astrid before fully facing her. "But at this point I'm desperate, it's been years, Astrid, and Hope barely even knew them."  She sighed, running shaky hands over her face.  "Don't even get me started on explaining-"

"To Elijah that you cant be with him." Astrid finished for her, a soft smile washing over her lips as Hayley tensed. "I sensed it, although I don't believe I would have if my brother and I didn't have such a strong magical connection." Hayley's shoulders drooped, a weight having been lifted without her having to even utter a word.

"How-" She began suddenly, nerves clouding her thoughts. Astrid gave her a curious look as Hayley continued. "How do you think Elijah will react?" Hayley watched Astrid diligently, quickly deciding to continue before she was answered.

"The truth, please." Astrid smiled warmly at the bond she could feel forming between them. "I can take it. Promise." Hayley confirmed, smiling back.

Astrid sighed, chewing on her lip. "He'll be devastated." Hayley visibly drooped. "But-" Astrid continued, filling Hayley's heart with hope. "Knowing my brother, all he could ever want is for you to be happy, and if you're happiest with Klaus-"

"Thank you, Astrid."  Hayley expressed, comfortable silence filling the air as the two walked toward the porch.  "They'll forgive you too, you know..."  Astrid furrowed her brows.  "Eventually."  Hayley added with a smirk, followed by soft laughter from Astrid.

Bucky smiles at the two, happy Astrid was able to reconcile with at least one person around here. He shifted on his feet as Mary stared her and Hayley down. "You two seem like peas in a pod." Mary stated, mock approval lacing her tone.

Hayley sighed, pursing her lips. "Mary give her a chance." Hayley commanded. "I'm tired of waiting, and from what-" Hayley paused, looking upward toward the house's attic. "Elijah told me about Astrid she can siphon magic. That's what we need, to be able to save Rebekah. We already have the cure to Freya's poison, now we have a tribrid to siphon Rebekah's hex." Mary narrowed her eyes and Astrid's brows furrowed at the mention of Freya, but she said nothing of it.

"This family, they'll be the death of ya'." Hayley, looked to the ground as if it would keep her from floating away into panic somehow.

As Mary left, leaving herself, Astrid, and Bucky standing out front, Hope watched on curiously from her room at the woman that was apparently her aunt. Smiling as she saw resemblance to her father, having seen pictures throughout their home, hidden safely in places only family would know to look.

"How is she? Hope?" Astrid asked, feeling the girls' eyes on her. Hayley smiled, glancing between the two. "She's great. She's happy, for the most part. As she gets older though, she becomes more and more curious about her family." Astrid smiled.

"We're gonna get them back." Bucky consoled and Astrid's smile grew larger. Hayley's eyes widened as she stuck out her hand for him to shake. "God, I really don't have manners. Hayley."

Bucky smirked. "James, call me Bucky." He insisted, using his left hand to shake hers. She gained an inquisitive look to her face but said nothing about the hardness of his left hand, knowing what it felt like to be judged.

Astrid had been trying for months to get him more comfortable with using his metal arm for menial tasks, a handshake with a nearly complete stranger was in no way what she was expecting his next step to be. Maybe he was finally accepting that what Alexander did, was in no way his fault.

After a moment Hayley spoke up. "Well, we were about to have lunch if you wanna come inside." Bucky looked to Astrid with puppy dog eyes, they hadn't had food in hours and the super-soldier serum running through his veins wasn't particularly easy to sate.

She smirked. "C' mon, let's go, Barnes." She joked, lacing her hand with his.