Chapter 4: Little boy in the woods

Leo's POV

I woke up to a loud, fearful scream. It sounded close to my bunker door. 

Scrambling up, I zipped through the bunker, my thoughts full on what could be happening. As I sped past, my eye caught hold of a clock near the door; 1:29am. Of course.

I quickly opened the door as the scream sounded again.  When I looked out, I saw three monsters surrounding a figure with a small backpack. I didn't focus on what kind of monsters they were, I was too tired. 

Igniting my flames, a bright illumination erupted from my hands, which no doubt caught the attention of the beasts. Two of them caught interest, but two wasn't enough. I needed to end this quickly. 

Dodging the first one, I sparked my fire energy into a solid ball, then slammed it into the 2nd beast, causing it to die to dust. The first monster growled savagely at me and snapped it's fangs out. I felt no fear, as the 3rd beast was closing in the figure that was cowering at the base of a tree. 

The second monster snapped again, so I spiraled backwards, and smirked at it, "C'mon now, you're not that bad at dancing are you?" The beast snapped again, burning hatred sizzling in it's eyes. Unfortunately, my flame sizzled warmer and louder. I used both of my hands-filled flames, and ducked under the monster's legs, then twisted the fires into its back.

The creature let out a yell in agony, before exploding into dust. I heard a scream again, and turned, making my way to the person and the beast. The monster was about to kill them, and I feared I wouldn't make it, but that just wasn't an option.

This kid was clearly a demigod, but they must've just made it to camp somehow. Because I didn't recognize them. That was even more reason to keep them safe. 

Just as the beast threw down his claws, the kid screamed, and I launched in front of him, now seeing them as a male, and held up my arms. The monster's huge paw slammed down on the defensive 'X' my arms made, but I held. 

The kid whimpered. He was maybe 10 or 11. I turned back to him and smiled, "It's okay, I got this." Using one last bit of my energy, I charged white hot flames, "Get behind the tree." I told him, knowing this would kill him if he touched it. 

The demigod listened and scrambled behind the tree, hiding himself. Turning back to the best, I felt a burning pain(Sorrynotsorry) in my right arm as a claw snagged on my skin, and started to tear at it.

The beast growled and I forced my flames up and out of my arms, igniting myself on fire. The beast squealed and yelped, but I kept forcing it back with fire, until it was a pile dust.

Once it was dead, I sighed, and took a small step back. I intook a deep breath, and turned to the tree the boy was peeking out of. Before I could say anything, my knees buckled and I caught myself on the ground. 

The boy yelped and scrambled over to me, trying to help me up. I complied and helped him pull me up. The kid pulled me up, and turned to me. "Wh-Where do I go?" I shook my head to clear it. As much as I didn't want to, I needed to get back to camp. This kid needed to be taken care of.

I nodded my head in teh direction of camp. "T-That way. You're going to a place where you'll be safe from them. It's a place where there are others like you." He smiled, and took a breath, walking in the direction I nodded to, with me leaning a little on him. 

But, a minute after walking, the kid froze and stopped. I turned to him, but he placed his hands on my shoulders. I was confused until he sat me on the ground. Then, he pulled off his pack, nodding to my now bleeding arm wound. 

"I need to take care of that. It's 1/2 an inch deep and 2 centimeters wide, from the bags under your eyes, that tells that you're tired. Any more energy loss, and you'll faint and I can't carry you." I nodded, and watched as he pulled out some sort of liquid, then bandages. 

"How much do you know?" I asked him, he was definitely 11. The kid sighed as he dabbed some of the liquid on my arm, I winced, but kept quiet. I could get a closer look at him though. 

The kid had dirty blonde hair, and peachy skin, with a tint of red cheeks, along with light brown eyes. He was wearing a red flannel and jeans, along with some orange converse. All of which are dirty. His hair wasn't short or long. It was maybe as long as Percy's, but less messed up, more tidied, but it was still swapped to the side.

"My mom told me my dad was, different. Said he was a Greek God. I never believed her, until. I gained the abilities she said I would. Healing, and music, healing being the main one. I always had an eye for wounds, and a few more, I never knew who he was-."

"Apollo." I told him, trying to relax my muscles. He looked up at me after finishing the bandages. Giving me a confused look. So, I clarified. "You're dad. The Greek God. He's Apollo. I can tell from everything you just told me and everything you've done so far since I've interacted with you." The kid nodded and sat back on his hunches before both of us got up.

"Wow. Okay, now I know it's true. So uh, are there any other, Apollo kids? Any nice ones?" He asked as we started walking back to camp. I nodded, laughing.

"Oh yes, they're all very nice. I think you and Will are gonna make friends real quick. Speaking of which, we better hurry, the forest is full of monsters at night." He nodded and we hurried along. I was going as fast as possible; but I was tired, very tired.

==========================

Once we got to camp. I knew that we both needed to go to the infirmary first. Looked over there and saw the lights on. Will must be working late again, that kid.

But, once we started heading in that direction, I stumbled, dizziness was getting to me. The younger demigod turned to me. He peered closely at my eyes, and helped me up. "You havent' slept in a while." I nodded.

"Mhm, c'mon les hury." My words were slurring together. He nodded, and we made it to the front steps of the wooden building. "Will!" I called out. 

I heard rustling and a blonde head popped out from around the corner. "Hey Leo, did you- oh my gods what happened!?" He asked as he hurried forward, taking my weight from the new demigod. 

"Monster, in woods, attacked, new kid." I explained very wearily. Will nodded, checking me down as the younger demigod sat down. 

"Well, nice bandaging job. You didn't hit your head,  yet you're dizzy and your words are mixing together. So how-?"

"He hasn't slept in 4 days." The kid said. Will slowly nodded, and fixed a look on me. I shrugged.

"He's your brother." Wills' eyes widened. 

"Cool! This'll be great! But- wait 4 days! Valdez are you crazy!?" He shouted. I covered my ears, and nodded, giving him a small smile.

"Of course I am, I thought everyone knew that." Will shook his head, and called one of the other Apollo kids over. A girl came over and Will asked her to take the new demigod to Chiron. She nodded tiredly and turned to the boy, who looked at me worriedly.

"C-Can I stay with him?" He asked, pointing to me. Will fondly shook his head.

"No, I'm sorry. Tell you what, after Chiron is done telling you on how this place works, I can take you to see Leo again. Okay?" The kid nodded, and waved to me, before following the girl, Kyla, I think her name was.

Will turned to me. "Okay Valdez, spill. Just now, that was the fakest smile I've ever seen you try to pull off." I nodded.

"Okay, this is gonna be quick. Then I'm leaving."