Chapter 16: Quiet Ride

3rd Person POV

The ride back was quiet for the most part, but when Cupid's palace came into view. Nico spoke. The dark clad demigod had noticed the one and off tension in Leo's body for the past couple hours. But, what Nico didn't understand was why. Was he mad? Waiting in anticipation? It couldn't be the height, Leo flew on Festus and ship. And he loved both of them. So what was wrong? The quiet wasn't like Leo either. 

"Leo? Do you see it? We should be near-." He was cut off.

"Yup. Right there, you'd have to reach around me to see it." Nico nodded, he knew for sure that he could hear the grit in Leo's voice and decided to talk about it with him later. 

But Leo was quiet because he didn't want to be alone again. He thought that it was best to be quiet and soak in what he had left. His emotions were in a knot, and his mind was trying too hard to sort them out that everything just shut down. His mind clung to the best escape and that escape was to leave everything behind and hide, to ride life out, help if he was really needed and then be done when the fates decided to be done with him. That was all he saw, that was what Leo allowed his mind to go to. 

Nico thought differently. He mistook Leo's silence for frustration and anger. Or pain. It could be any of the three and this dampened any of Nico's spirits at being free to hold his sword right again. he could go solo again. But now, he was starting to think about Leo's absence, and the hole it might leave. But Nico shook his head. Solo, means staying alive. For Bianca. I owed her that much.

So the rest of the silence was left in deep thoughts that would be solved if the duo would just talk to each other.

+++++++========+++++++

"Oh goodie! You got those rose! I assume the stone was taken as well?" Cupid asked as he the Golden Rose floated towards him. Leo nodded and slipped the stone from his tool belt, presenting it to the god, who shook his head. "Good, but you must wait till tonight. The chains must go for now, and when the sun set forcing the moon to rise, you should be able to slip the rock between your hands. It'll unlink you." 

Leo nodded and slipped the rock back into his tool belt and asked, "Uhm- Cupid? Why the Golden Rose?" The god chuckled and slipped the rose in and out of his fingers. As if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"My dear demigod, do you know what a golden rose stands for?" Leo shook his head, but Nico spoke up.

"It uh- it's a sign of affection and reverence. A token a deep love and respect for another." Cupid nodded and he flipped the rose up, holding a light-tipped smile. 

"That's right, and who was the one who got the rose?" Leo raised his hand, and forced his usual energy into his words and actions. 

"I did! It was around the bird's neck and we rode that sucker back here Valdez style!" Cupid could see through it, as Leo grinned, hoping to convince himself that what was about to happen was okay. But Cupid's smile become a more sorrowful one as he raised an eyebrow.

"Well, then it's yours." Leo froze.

"Mine?" The god nodded and the rose appeared in Leo's hand, bright and full of life. The golden glow emanated emotions that reflected perfectly against Leo's amber eyes. A fiery amber mixed with a passionate gold was something Cupid saw, but he also saw a dark emotion hidden behind that bright act, and the god knew why. He may be an arrogant god, be he was still a god of love and seeing a strong emotion such as love being overseen and making one hurt, was something he simply could not stand for. 

"Yes, yours. Do with it as you please. But with my teleportation mist, I guess you know what to do with an item such as that hmm?" Cupid's gaze on Leo was enough, the raised eyebrow and the knowing look told the demigod he knew exactly what Cupid was talking about. Nico stood idly by, making more misunderstandings in his own head.  Which led to Cupid clapping his hands together, "Meanwhile. I would enjoy the rest of your time here whilst you can. I heard someone is going somewhere afterwards."

Nico shot up his head and gave Cupid a confused look, while Leo's smile dropped into a tired one. But the god didn't linger on the subject, "I will safely gave you back to your group. Remember what I said, you can only deactivate the spell tonight. Which would be- actually, in about an hour. So, farewell young demigods, make sure not to lie to yourselves, it's very troublesome."

And in an instant, they were back in their hotel room, with the rest of the group there...

Sorry about the shortness. I'm usually very good about getting good and long chapters out. I'm kinda unfocused rn, I'll get a better one up later.