TWELVE - N E L L I E

SUNDAY, MAY 10 1925

SUNDAY, MAY 10 1925

Thankfully my foot isn't as sore as I feared. I tug on a green skirt, blouse, and a silk scarf that belonged to my grandmother before heading out. It'll be a sunny day—and a little warm, too.

Felix is already waiting.

"About yesterday," he starts, "I was sore with you. It wasn't fair and I'm sorry."

"Good old Felix," I say, and he relaxes.

"Tell me about the car," Felix rejoins, checking his watch.

"I want it to be a surprise."

Felix grunts and doesn't say anything else until we pause outside the garage. It's easily three times the size of his family's place—there's even a sign that says SALES in the front window, and two gas pumps outside.

This is it.

Felix follows in my footsteps. I can sense him appraising the competition and don't correct him for it. Having Felix at my back at a place like this can only help—the garage's ties to the Collins outfit are thick enough to trip anyone up.

I rap on the door to the office and kick aside a cigarette butt. Lola will have left instructions. After her offer the other night she made it clear she wants my services.

The door swings open and suddenly I am face to face with Joey Collins.

He grins at me, and gives Felix a once-over. Joey's way of sizing people up makes me uncomfortable. Sure enough he gets that mean glint in his eye that says he's gonna make an ass of himself.

Felix's jaw tightens. Joey laughs.

"I've come about the car, Joey. Don't be an ass, it's an insult to donkeys everywhere." Be direct. Lingering on any subject too long in front of Joey is a bad idea. I feel a moment's anger at Lola for leaving this to him. To say Joey had a volatile temper was like saying that Chicago was as dry as the Mojave Desert.

"And you brought some muscle along?"

"He's here to inspect the merchandise," I say, "I'm sure Lola told you."

Joey smirks. "Feeling a little important, are we? Does a dance hall gal like you need a big six tailing her around?"

My anger is just a comforting warmth from a few coals. Joey's got the imagination of a pea. Felix has moved to my elbow. He towers over Joey, sure, but he doesn't do anything.

"Are you going to show me the car, or not?"

Joey saunters out from behind the counter. There's two other fellas there—they look up briefly from their books, and then glance hurriedly back down.

"Car's out back," he says, "Let's go have a look."

We follow him there. The ground's muddy, with a few puddles. They must have been washing a few cars the night before. Felix is wary. He knows the garage's reputation. I'll probably be in for a lecture later.