TWENTY-NINE - N E L L I E

Felix

Felix. The Midwest Perfume & Company. Part of the operation led by the Juniper Gang. Is this some sort of ransom? For Felix? Is this because of my argument with Richie Caulfield?

I expel a shaky breath.

I crumple the paper in my fist and grab my handbook. August and Gertrude. I have to see them. Maybe it isn't Felix at all. Maybe it's Lola. But whomever it was who did the kidnapping must have waited for me to leave the apartment before breaking in.

I run down the steps so fast somebody yells after me to keep it down. But I don't care—I wave down a cab. Once I get to the Müller garage I bang on the office door with all my might.

Gertrude answers, frowning just a little.

"Nellie," she says, "I was just about to come and see you."

I'll have to do my best about the flutter in my voice. The ransom note is still clutched in my hand. I wouldn't even let go of it to find the taxi fare.

I press the note into Gertrude's hand. She lets out a cry and sinks to the ground and that's when August comes running, throwing down his work gloves.

Gertrude peers up at me, her eyes shining and red-rimmed. Her shoulders shake. August reads the letter and buries his face in his hands.

"Why would anybody take Felix?"

They still don't know what Felix had to do with Detroit. Or Toledo.

"We'll get money," I say, "We'll get him home." I coax Gertrude inside and August follows. Neither of them sit.

"I don't understand," Gertrude says. She repeats it and then begins to sob. Each shake of her shoulders is another stab in my chest. Gertrude has already lost one son. Losing her nephew will surely kill her.

And what would it do to me?

"Was anything wrong at the garage?"

August lays a hand on Gertrude's shoulder.

"Felix was working even after we went to bed. This morning, he was gone. There were a few things out of order. He left some of his things on the floor—you know he never leaves his tools out."

I can't look at Gertrude as I hand her a handkerchief.

"I have some money," I say, "It might be enough. We'll get them the money tonight." I take a deep breath. Felix should have some, too. He wouldn't have gone anywhere to spend it just yet. And since it was Sunday, he wouldn't have mailed it off. I need to look for it. Between my savings and his, we could pay it.

"Have you gone to the police?"

Both of them shake their heads.

"Fine," I say. I don't know what the police would be able to do. The coppers never touch that "Perfume" company. They wouldn't dare.