TWENTY-SEVEN - L E S T E R

SATURDAY, MAY 16 1925

When I meet Travers early on Saturday morning I tell him that I'm onto something big. He doesn't ask for details. If he knows about me and Lola he sure as hell won't say anything.

"And how are you doing, Lester?"

"Busy," I say. Talk of the robbery has died down. It's page-eight fare now.

"The mayor's trying to do some good here. I know he disagrees with the premise, but he's seeing to it that the law is upheld."

I swallow. The law. I've told nobody that Lola is responsible for the robbery.

"Anyway," Travers says, "Your Captain's going to be in hot water no matter what. Half the bills stolen from the Second National Bank? They were marked bills."

I straighten. Marked bills?

"We'll know the second anybody starts dumping them on a purchase. And if the Captain has anything to do with this—"

"How many?"

"About five thousand worth."

I whistle under my breath but inside I'm squirming. Does Lola know this? Does she know her loot is tainted?

"See," Travers said, "Word was spread around that the bank would be an easy hit. We figured we'd sit back and wait for the roaches to all come crawling out. It was only a matter of time. I trust you won't breathe a word of this to anyone."

"Of course sir," I say. My badge seems to burn a hole through my coat. Like it can sense my dishonesty. I'm not sure how Travers had the pull necessary to plant that many marked bills—the Prohibition Unit is part of the Treasury Department, after all—but he must have some good connections.

"You are part of a revolution, son," he says, "We'll get this place cleaned up yet."

"Whatever it takes," I say. I don't see how this could get any worse.

"We've been listening in on the Collins' operation," Travers said, "It's only a matter of time now."

"By wire?"

It just got worse. A whole lot worse. Even though listening in on telephone conversations might not be exactly legal, it's still a blow.

Travers nods and fills his pipe. "You seem a little jumpy."

"I haven't been sleeping well." It isn't that big of a lie. I haven't been sleeping well because in order to make time to see Lola, I don't have much time for sleep.

"Go to a druggist," he says, "Buy yourself some tonic. You can't be falling asleep on the job, Lester."

"No sir," I say, "I definitely won't."

#

It begins to rain along the way to my shift. A regular downpour. I hunch my shoulders against it, mind racing. What a mess I've cooked up for myself this time. If I tell Lola that her father's phones have been compromised, she'll trust me. But Travers is sure to find out.