Prologue

I do not own the Peaky Blinders.

Gwen Baker was carefree, beautiful, energetic, polite, and was very imaginative. If she wasn't at home reading or painting or helping her parents out in the bakery, everyone knew she would be out in the fields dancing barefoot in the long grass with the old farmers horse; braiding daisy chains into her long hair and the Clydesdale's tail.

It was common knowledge within his family, that Thomas Shelby had the biggest crush on her. Even his best friend, Freddie Thorne, teased him about the wild, bakers daughter all the time.

Especially, when the two boys would go into the bakery to pick up a loaf of bread for their households on the weekend.

"Just talk to her, Tom!" Freddie pushed the Shelby boy towards the counter, where the strawberry blonde was quietly reading a book.

Hearing the voices pulled Gwen out of the world that her book had transported her to and she smiled towards the slightly older boy, who was in her class at school. "Hello, Thomas."

"Tommy." Tommy corrected her, clearing his throat when he felt the hints of a blush sweeping across his face. He scuffed his shoe on the floor, awkwardly, and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

Girls liked the cool boys, right?

"How's your mum?" She asked, her smile enchanting.

"She's alright." He replied nonchalantly, "Still pregnant."

"Are you excited to have another brother or a sister?" She asked, her eyes sparkling.

"Not really."

"Oh? I'd love to have siblings."

"I mean, yeah, well," He shrugged again, looking to Freddie for some kind of help. "They're alright, I suppose."

"Tommy wanted to ask you something." Freddie nudged his friend, "Didn't you, Tom?"

"Yeah." Tommy felt a little encouraged.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Do you..." want to go out with me? The blue eyed young teenager stammered, suddenly getting cold feet. "Do you..." want to be my girlfriend? He sighed, "Do you...have any bread?"

Freddie ducked away, trying not to scoff at his friends inability to talk to this girl. He could talk to any girl, but not this one.

"Well, we are a bakery." She replied with a small giggle, "I'll go and get you a fresh loaf from the back."

She disappeared, and Tommy glared at Freddie when the boy started laughing. "It's not funny!"

"It is though, Tom!" Freddie clapped him on the shoulder, "You know, one of these days someone's going to snap her up and you'll be kicking yourself for missing your chance with her."

"We're only fourteen, Freddie." Tommy stuck his hands back in his trouser pockets, "I've got time."

The young girl who he considered his sweetheart returned, two loaves of bread - one for him and one for Freddie - and a slice of lemon drizzle cake.

"This is for your mum." She said, popping the slice of cake into the box, "My ma thinks you're going to have a little sister, because your mum has a sweet tooth."

"I hope not." Tommy said, placing the money on the counter for the bread. "Tell your mum thanks for the cake."

"Okay." She smiled, "I'll see you here again next week."

His heart fluttered in his chest when she smiled at him, and Freddie had to pull him out of the shop in case the Shelby boy ended up standing there staring at the girl for the rest of the day.