Chapter Twenty One

As Tommy pulled up outside of Gwen's flint cottage, she turned to him and invited him inside for a cup of tea. She told herself it was purely to give Pol and the rest of his family time to realise that Tommy wouldn't have shopped Freddie in to the police. But she knew, deep down, she was hoping for another kiss.

The strawberry blonde filled the kettle and put it on to boil, as Tommy removed his coat. Once Gwen had made the tea, she brought the two cups in to the living room where Tommy was sitting.

"All police and false accusations aside," She began, taking a seat beside him. "How does it feel to be an uncle?" She brought her teacup to her lips, "Again."

A small smile teased the corners of his mouth, "Brilliant." He replied without missing a beat. "I never though Ada would have kids though."

"Why not?" Gwen asked curiously.

"I didn't think any man would have the balls to go near her. Least of all, Freddie." He sighed and shook his head, "But he only looks at her and sees a way to use her against me."

"He's known her since she was a child, Tommy." She replied after a moment of silence, "He knows how sweet and funny she is, and he's seen her with her temper."

"He's a brave man, I'll give him that."

"No, Tommy, you need to look at the bigger picture." She scolded him, "From that, you can tell that he truly loves her. Besides, he risked coming out of hiding to be with her tonight, knowing that the police were after him. Not only that, but if he didn't love her, he would've abandoned her when he found out that she was pregnant. He didn't just come back, he married her. For all his faults, Tommy, he's been doing the right thing for Ada. I know he wouldn't play her for a fool - even if making you think he's trying to get at you - he loves her too much to do that."

Tommy's eyes searched hers, "You see the good in everyone, Gwen. I'd hate myself if I ever disappointed you."

She smiled up at him, "I know as much of the bad as I know the good in you Tommy, but it doesn't disappoint me."

"It doesn't?"

"No. Everyone has their faults, no one is perfect."

"Then tell me something about you then." He challenged her, "What are you bad at?"

"My handwriting is awful." She said for a start, bringing her legs up onto the sofa. "The reason why I don't drink is because I'm a terrible lightweight; for a bakers daughter - I can't bake; I'm constantly misplacing things; I'm messy; I can't sew-"

"-And despite all of those things, I still love you."

Her eyes met his, and her heart melted. He sat before her, looking so vulnerable. Gwen could see the weight Tommy was carrying on his shoulders; he was devastated that his family thought him low enough to trick Freddie into coming out of hiding.

"I don't know how I feel." She murmured honestly. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise." He whispered in return.

"But I need to." She said, "I've never felt this way before." The strawberry blonde bit her lip, nervously. "I feel something for you, but I don't know what it is."

"Does it feel good?" He asked, his fingers gradually entwining with hers. "Do I make you feel happy?"

She nodded, "Yes, without a doubt."

"And when I say that I want to kiss you...what do you feel?"

"Nervous." She whispered, her eyes falling to his lips. "But in a good way."