Chapter Ten

"Does he make you happy?"

"Who?"

"The postman."

"What do you mean?"

"Weren't you on a date at the pictures, Monday afternoon?"

"No."

It was Friday, and after a long few days serving behind the bar at the Garrison, Gwen was more than happy to spend the end of the working week up at the peaceful meadow - painting.

"We went as friends." She said.

"You were holding his hand." Tommy pointed out.

"It wasn't romantic." She said with a shake of her head, "And even if it was, how is it your business, Tommy?"

"Everything around here is my business."

She kept quiet. There was nothing romantic going on between her and Samuel, so why continue the conversation?

"So," Tommy paused to light a cigarette. "Does he make you happy?"

She huffed, and finally looked up at him, "I suppose he does." Tommy kept his gaze locked on hers. She looked away from him and back up at Blushing Bride, "I haven't heard much talk about Monaghan Boy lately. Is he no longer racing?"

"Not at the moment, no." Tommy replied, exhaling a cloud of smoke. "He'll be back up here tomorrow, and I'll be taking Something About Her down to the stables."

Gwen would miss watching the beautiful liver chestnut mare grazing.

She continued to paint, listening to the birds chirping happily and the horses munching on the grass at her feet. Tommy leant against the fence behind her, watching her work from over her shoulder.

"Would you say you're happier with him, than up here?" With me.

She looked up, with a sigh. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with their conversation about the postman. "Tommy..." She put her paintbrush down.

"It's a simple question, requiring a simple answer."

"No." She said, "I prefer being up here."

He was happy with her response, she could tell by the way his shoulders relaxed. He threw the end of his cigarette to the ground, and crushed it under the heel of his shoe.

"Are you looking forward to the races tomorrow?" She asked.

"Aye." He replied, I'd look forward to it even more if I was going with you. "Have you changed your mind about coming?"

"No." She said, "I can't leave Harry without a barmaid."

"He's coped on Saturdays before now."

"Well, people have started singing again, so we're busy." She said, "Everyone thinks Grace has a lovely voice. Is that why you allowed it? So that she can sing?"

"I didn't do it for Grace." He said, looking at her.

"Then why did you?"

Because it made you smile. "Grace and I made a deal." He said, "She'd come with me to the races, if I allowed singing on weekends."

"Did she not want to go in the first place?"

"She's not a fan of horses." Was all Tommy said as a response.

"If you knew that, why did you ask her?"

A grin teased his lips, "I've already told you it's not a date, Gwen. I didn't think you were the jealous type." She rolled her eyes and shook her head, Tommy was a little disappointed when she did not blush at his teasing. "When Billy Kimber dropped by the Garrison, he took a shine to her." He said, "My business at Cheltenham is with him. I thought that, by bringing Grace with me, she could flirt and dance with him and it might sweeten him up a little. I'm paying her to do it."