Chapter Eighteen

"Is it safe?"

"Of course, it's safe."

"Are you sure?"

"I got it here in one piece, didn't I?"

Gwen looked at the car skeptically, "There was a grenade planted in it, or did you forget?"

"Yes, there was a grenade in it." Tommy said, opening the passenger door for her as he cast his finished cigarette to the ground and crushed it under his shoe. "But I've been over it several times. It's safe, I promise."

She bit her lip, but eventually climbed into the vehicle, "I swear, if we die today Tommy-"

"-With you beside me, I'll die a happy man."

Gwen blushed as she put on her seatbelt but held her breath all the same, as Tommy started up the engine. "So, where are we going today?" She asked.

"I have a surprise for you." He said, "I'm not telling you what it is, but I promise you now, if you don't like it - you won't offend me if you decline."

"I don't understand." She said with a frown, "I like everything - what do you think I won't like?" Tommy didn't respond. So, Gwen started chatting away (as she usually did) when she was with him. The countryside came into view, and they hadn't been in the car long (maybe only ten minutes) before Tommy pulled over.

Gwen frowned, "Is something wrong with the car?"

"No." He unplugged his seatbelt, and got out of the vehicle.

"Oh god, we need to get out?" She unplugged her own belt in a rush and threw open the door seconds before Thomas could do it for her. "It's going to explode!"

She jumped out, almost knocking the Peaky Blinder over in her bid to get away. Tommy chuckled, and caught her by her arm, "Gwen, we're here. There's nothing wrong with the car."

Although a little embarrassed about her outburst, she turned to look at the quaint flint cottage in front of them. "Where are we?"

"Come on, I'll show you." He offered her his arm which she took, as he led them up the sweet pathway and through the front garden. He pulled a key out of his pocket, and unlocked the front door before gesturing for her to enter first.

She did so, slowly. "Who lives here?" She asked, her eyes taking in the country farmhouse kitchen that she had stepped into.

"No one." Tommy replied, "But I own it."

"You own this place?" She asked, running her hand along the oak dining table. "It's beautiful, Tommy." Her eyes lit up when she stepped further into the kitchen, and could see the garden out the back. Over a small hedge, there were horses grazing. "Is that Monaghan Boy?" She asked, excitedly.

"It is." He said with a smile, "This cottage belonged to old farmer Trevor's mother. His farm house is just along the road a bit further, and over a bridge."

In all her years coming up to the meadow, she had never known there was a cottage backing on to the field. The shape of the paddock where she frequented many years in her youth, had trees and hedges bordering the back which was hiding the flint abode. Which was probably why she had never come across it before.

Gwen followed Tommy out of the kitchen and through a small living room towards a back door. They stepped out into a garden, and Gwen could see that a small wooden gate had recently been put in which led out into the meadow at the back.

"I've been thinking about what you said," Tommy began. "About how you didn't like to go upstairs in your house...if you want, you can live here."

"What?"