Education

After kindergarten, Jackie started her first year at Miss Chapin’s School on East End Avenue in New York City. One of her teachers; by the name of Miss Platt, thought Jackie was "a darling child, the prettiest little girl, very clever, very artistic, and full of the devil."

At times she did get into trouble and would be sent to the headmistress: Miss Ethel Stringfellow. Madame Stringfellow wrote on Jackie's report card: "Jacqueline was given a D in Form because her disturbing conduct in her geography class made it necessary to exclude her from the room." 

In June 1947, Jackie graduated from Miss Porter’s School, a boarding school for girls in Connecticut. She continued her education at Vassar College in New York, where she studied history, literature, art, and French. At Vassar, Jackie spent her junior year studying abroad in Paris, France.

Miss Bouvier, who had ancestors from France, lived with the de Renty family at their apartment, located at 76 Avenue Mozart, in Central Paris. Madame de Renty had two daughters, Claude and Ghislaine, and one four-year-old son, Christian. The children got on well with Jackie. Jackie, later in her life wrote about her experience in the French city: 

"I loved it more than any year of my life. Being away from home gave me a chance to look at myself with a jaundiced eye. I learned not to be ashamed of a real hunger for knowledge, something I had always tried to hide, and I came home glad to start in here again but with a love for Europe that I am afraid will never leave me." 

After a year abroad in France, mingling with not only French but American and most of the time, fellow classmate socialites; Jackie returned to the United States to finish up her last year of college, transferring from Vassar College to The George Washington University in the capital city. Jackie only chose this place of education as she enjoyed being in the city and it was closer to her family, who resided in Georgetown.