Later years

Now that her children were older, Jackie decided to take a new career. She had done her part in journalism so she looked for a career as a writer. Jackie had been a glamourous First Lady, a grieving widow, a tycoon's consort but her new role would be -- a book editor for Viking Press.

According to many, letting her slip away from the clutches of the Press, following the death of Ari, Jackie felt like a different person. She managed to transform her public image. Instead of seeing her on shopping sprees, trips to Europe and lunching at Orsini's. There wasn't many public sightings of her either. Jackie was only seen strolling around New York or entering the publishing house, she worked in. 

She was seen more in the New York Public Library instead of the art galleries of Paris and glitzy social events and parties. Most nights she invited her children to her apartment and they dined together. Jackie described them as the most important responsibility in her life. She would then settle down to read in her library.

After several years at Viking Press, Jackie moved to Doubleday as a senior editor. Photographers did get photos of her walking to work or getting in a cab and they were sold to the magazines but Jackie didn't mind. Her main focus was, she was still considered a normal member of the editing team. 

Even though, she didn't attend as many as she used to, Jackie was still seen at social events, (often to do with fashion, history, culture or literacy), often arm in arm with Maurice Tempelsman. 

He was the new man in Jackie's life. The two began their lengthy relationship in 1980, five years after the death of Ari Onassis. In 1988, after a divorce from his wife, Tempelsman moved in with Jackie into 1040 Fifth Avenue. In their relationship, Tempelsman looked after Jackie's finances and they both cared for each other in Jackie's final years. 

The couple were often seen at social events or in their private life, strolling through the park. 

Jackie died on 19th May 1994, at 1040 Fifth Avenue, surrounded by the things and people she loved.