White House Restoration

Jacqueline Kennedy didn't just show a good example abroad and have good fashion sense, she also thought about what the White House represented to its many visitors and to citizens around the globe. She wanted people, especially Americans to have a greater appreciation of the history of America's most famous residence and its past residents.

Her first major project as First Lady was to restore and preserve the White House. She pleaded for the aid of many experts and architects and some of her advisors, such as Letitisha Baldrige, her social secretary. Jackie to prove she was committed to this project, established a White House Fine Arts Committee, and created the post of White House curator.

Gathering historic examples of American art and furniture from around the United States (including many items that had belonged to former presidents and their families), she restored all the public rooms in the White House.

CBS Television asked Jackie to present a televised tour of the newly restored White House. Eighty million Americans watched the broadcast, and it earned Jackie an honorary Emmy Award. It is considered one of the greatest and most recognisable pieces of television from not only the year 1962 but of the whole 20th century. 

The Kennedys brought a new, youthful spirit to the White House, which they believed should be a place to celebrate American history, culture, and achievement. As First Lady, Jackie took great pride in planning important state dinners and events at the White House, making Washington the attraction for all socialites along the East Coast of the United States. Apart from foreign dignatries, Mrs Kennedy invited famous artists, writers, scientists, poets, and musicians to mingle with Amercian politicians, diplomats, and statesmen.

After a visit to the White House, the world-renowned violinist Isaac Stern wrote to Jackie to thank her. "It would be difficult to tell you," he wrote, "how refreshing, how heartening it is to find such serious attention and respect for the arts in the White House. To many of us it is one of the most exciting developments on the present American cultural scene."