3

"...Should we sit?" Pansy asked. Her voice is hoarse and she has black mascara smudges under her eyes. I didn't answer, I just followed her over to the arm chairs and sat down.

"Look, Pansy," I started, "I know I messed up, okay? But everybody thinks it's Blaise anyways and I was-" Before I could finish, Pansy interrupts me: "No! You don't get to act like this isn't a big deal, Hermione!" She's glaring at me and tears are filling in her eyes.

"We've always had one rule. ONE easy rule and tonight you broke it!"

"You're totally overreacting Pansy! I didn't even tell anyone! All I said is that my crush is in Slytherin, that could be anyone!" She stands up and looks directly at me, "Hermione Granger, you are unbelievable." and starts to walk away.

Before she can get far I shout after her "So what? That's it? You don't even want to figure this out together?" This got her attention. She slowly turns around, clenching her jaw. "Fine. Let's talk." 

(Pansy's POV)

I don't even know why but I go back and sit with Hermione. She had a sympathetic smile on her face but I could see the regret behind her eyes.

"Look, Pansy. I know I shouldn't have told people about the house. I know that this is important and I know that I screwed up. I also don't expect you to forgive me right away, but-" She pauses and looks up at me and I can see that she's started to cry.

"What is it?" I push.

"It's hard not to feel like you're just ashamed of being with me..." I felt my heart sink.

The whole time, all I had been thinking about was myself. I stand up and walk over to sit on the armrest of her chair. Softly taking her face in my palms, I whisper "Hermione Granger, I am not ashamed to be in love with you." She took a sharp intake of air. We have never said 'I love you' before, but I've always felt it.

"I love you, Pansy," she says back, "And I will do anything to make you happy."

I shifted down onto Hermione's lap, one leg on either side of her thighs. She put her hands on my waist and pulled my body into hers. I brushed a bit of her hair out of her face before pressing my lips against hers. I could feel her smile against my lips and I pulled away to catch my breath, keeping our foreheads resting on each other.

"I'm so in love with you."