{Chapter 15: City of Love}

"Merci," Mom tells the taxi driver as he drops us off the location. I rub at my eyes and yawn. I didn't really get much sleep— any sleep at all, to be honest— last night. And it's taking its toll on me today. I turn around to look at our new home.

It's not a large apartment, but it's bigger than our house back at Korea. I just can't wait to land on my bed, and sleep for a whole day. I grab my luggage ready as Mom puts in the key. It clicks open. The smell of sizzling onions and garlic instantly catches my attention.

"How was the flight?" A mellow-toned voice asks by the kitchen.

"Chae!" Mom exclaims in pure excitement. She dashes over to the woman and gives her a tight bear hug. "You didn't have to."

She's looks taller than my Mom, especially in those killer high heels. Despite the heat, she's wearing a loose white sweater to match her white pencil skirt. To finish her look, a pair of expensive-looking diamond earrings dangle at the side of her face. She looks like a model. And she's only cooking in the kitchen, mind you.

"Oh, I expected you two had a long day. So I prepared some omelette du fromage for you guys." Her gaze lands on me and her jaw drops. "Oh. My. God. Is this her?"

She walks towards me, leaving her spatula on the counter. She gives me a warm hug and I apparently had no choice but to accept it. I look at Mom with a lopsided smile and a confused look. I had absolutely no idea who this woman is. She takes a good look of my face. "My, my! She looks so beautiful!"

"I'm Park Chaeri," She introduces herself, a wide grin never leaving her lips. "Your mother and I are best friends since college. And I'm sure you've heard, I'm also head of SoKor Classics, one of the most—"

"Prestigious fashion agencies in Korea, Paris and 13 other countries!" I finish for her. I blink. I can't believe the woman standing in front of me is actually her. I'm starstruck. "W-Wow! I never thought you'd be here cooking breakfast for us!"

"That's not all, sweetie." She laughs. Even her laugh is beautiful. "I saw your amazing portfolio."

I glare at Mom for going through my things again. I specifically told her not to touch my sketchbook. But she just shrugs, an innocent grin plasters across her face.

"I understand that you have to finish your studies though, but how would you like an internship at SoKor Classics?" Ms. Chaeri asks. It takes me a while to process what she said. Am I... Am I hearing this right now? My jaw drops.

"Yes... YES! Absolutely! I would love to... I..." I'm at loss for words. I want to hug her, but that would be awkward. So instead, I say. "Thank you! It's such an honour!"

"It's no problem, honey." She giggles. "Now join your mother and I for breakfast. I make the best omelettes around here."

I nod as she heads back to the kitchen and Mom sets the table. I can't stop smiling! I grab my phone out of my bag and begin to type a text, then I stop.

I'm sure Soobin would be proud of me.

I press on backspace and erased the entire message. I hesitate, but I deleted his number anyways. It felt really heavy on my heart, but if I'm going to start a new life, I need to forget those in my past. I'm going to need a new number as well.

After breakfast, Ms. Chaeri bids goodbye and Mom insists to wash the dishes, so I decide to explore the new home. It's furnished like any modern-day apartment, but it has this Victorian feel to it that I find charming. I take the stairs to the second floor. I guess this is my room. I can't believe Mom afforded this.

I sit on the bed, taking in the beautiful view of the city of love. One side of the room is one big window, so you can really see the whole city. I check the top. Phew. They have blinds. Otherwise I won't change my clothes here and let the whole city of Paris see my naked body.

The walls here are so blank and empty, unlike back at my old home, full of band posters and pictures. The place, the language, the people— all are so unfamiliar, but I keep telling myself that I'll get used to it... soon. I slump back into my bed, burying myself under the sheets. Unconsciously, a tear escapes my eye. And there's no Beomgyu, no Yeonjun, no Taehyun, no Hueningkai, and no Soobin to wipe it away. It's alright. I'll get used to it.

I open my phone, and look at the time. It's 6:07 in the morning, and I've received thousands of notifications and messages from an unknown number. Or is it really unknown? I scroll through them.

Unknown
What for?
Seen

Unknown
What's going on?
Seen

Unknown
Are you alright? You're
making me worry.
Seen

Unknown
Where are you?
Seen

Unknown
Answer me, please.
Seen

Unknown
Please, answer me. When are
you returning?
Seen

I turn off my phone, and snuggle deeper into my pillow. Tears fell on their own, even if I didn't allow them to. I type in the words I want— need to tell him.

I'm so sorry, Soobin. Please
don't wait for my return. I love you so much.

I wipe at my eyes, tears were blurring my vision. I intend to hit backspace, but instead my thumb fell on send. I gasp, almost dropping my phone, but there is nothing I could do about it. I sob. As in freakishly, ugly-cry, sob. I maybe telling myself that I will, but deep in me, I know I will never, ever, ever, ever get used to it.