late nights

Shes cold and shes cruel but she knows what shes doing

I reach up slowly cupping my cheek staring wide eyed at the man in front of me. The stinging in my jaw makes me wince slightly and grit my teeth. That was gonna bruise. The smell of alcohol fills my senses as he speaks.

"Try and talk back again boy and see what happens." He growled in my face his hand ready to strike again if needed. Out of the corner of my eye I see my mother slink off into the kitchen. Probably to raid the wine cabinet and drink until she forgets about her fucked up family again like most nights. I turn around abruptly making my way to the front door.

"Dont worry about that... Dad" I say the last word with enough venom to kill the strongest of people. He practically roars at my tone and I go to grab my jacket but it wasnt on the hook. It was a warmish night anyways so who cares. I go to grab the handle.

"If you open that door you will regret it Harrison" he screams at my back but I ignore him pulling the door open anyways and stop in my tracks looking down at the girl standing on my front steps hand raised to knock. Her eyes widen probably at the man behind me yelling for me to get back inside. I step out quickly closing the door behind me muffling my father's voice slightly.

"What do you want Nerris?" I ask and she seems slightly confused before suddenly snapping back into reality and looked down at the cloth she held in her arms.

"You left your jacket at Prestons and I offered to bring it to you because its on my way home but..." She trailed off not looking up at me. I sigh looking back at the door. Im surprised by a hand grabbing my wrist and look down then up at Nerris as she leads me off my porch. Her face is emotionless and cold but her grip is surprisingly gentle. I go to ask what she was doing but she seemed to be lost in her thoughts so we walk in silence. After about 3 or 4 minutes were standing in front of a large 2 story white house a few streets down from my own. She dragged me up the porch and into a large foyer. I didn't have time to survey the area because I was being dragged up the stairs and into a room.

She let go of my wrist as she walked over to the dresser and grabbed a hand bag that sat atop it looking for something. I looked around the room because we all always hung out at Prestons. The room was lit in a soft purple light due to fairy lights that were strung up around the walls. A tv mounted to a wall and a book shelf were the main attractions of the room it seemed. And there were several pictures framed around the room. I walked over looking at some while she was pre occupied. Not my fault I'm curious and she left me unattended.

The first one I noticed was a photo of nerris on her fathers shoulders. She looked about 10 or so. It was pretty cute. In another more recent one she was next to a girl on the beach in front of the ocean. They were wearing matching bikinis and had matching smiles streched across their faces. Nerris didnt have braces so it had to have been taken recently as she only got them removed a month ago, right before school got out. I smiled looking at the next one. It was the camp photo with everyone just outside the wooden sign that we took right before leaving. Another one caught my eye and I smiled larger. It was a photo of nerris and me looking standing in front of the lake. She had a pissed off expression and was glaring at me. My smile was so awkward it was terrible. We were both sopping wet from falling in the lake. Uh- she was pushed... Possibly by me. Maybe. Yeah it was me. I jumped as Nerris spoke up.

"Found them!" She exclaimed and I turned around seeing her holding a pair of car keys. She looked up at me then to the photo I was looking at.