day 0 | not so false alarm

"Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dream of
Once in a lullaby"

"Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebird still fly
And the dreams that you dream of
Dreams really do come true"

THE FIRST THING she notices is the sky.

It's like splashing an entire bucket of black and red onto an already perfect canvas of blue and cotton white.

She has always loved watching the sun set and rise. But this, this is monstrous, ghastly. Filled with foul grotesque compared to what was once bright and beautiful.

And like a dragon emerging from the clouds, a huge ball of fire penetrates through the Earth's atmosphere, fast falling down towards the surface like a ticking bomb about to blow.

The second it kisses the ground, its erupt into destruction. The smoke and fire spreads for miles, maybe hundreds, maybe thousands, maybe hundred thousands or millions.

She squeezes her eyes shut upon instinct. But the inability to see only proves to enhance her ability to listen. It's like listening to crashes of lightning, fireworks, an active volcano and the scraping of knives all at once. But amplified a hundred times more.

She forces herself to open her eyes as anorher loud explosions causes her shoulders to jump in fright. Throwing her hands over her ears, she watches in dismay as the ugly sky rains more and more balls of flames.

The seas dry up, the cities fall.

The grass beneath her feet turns to black with soot. The gentle wind caressing her hair transforms into an angry beast that knocks her back onto the hard-soiled ground.

It's easy to feel remorse when you are facing death. Sometimes you just realise that you're not ready to leave yet, that there's something you haven't done, a work left incomplete, or an old grudge in your heart that you haven't gotten rid of.

Her hands search the ground around her blindly, ignoring the ashes and the dust getting thrown around.

She searches and searches, but doesn't find.

A tear slips down her cheek. It falls to the ground and evaporates into air, but fire flickers from where it struck. It grows and spreads out all around her until there's nothing else she can see but red, red, red.

A searing pain rips through her body and it feels like she's being pulled apart into pieces.

The pain is unbearable, building, building, building—

And then she screams. And the whole world screams along with her.

You might already be thinking that this is another one of those books with the opening of the main character jolting up from a nightmare in cold sweat with trembling hands and desperate inhales for breath