Avengers Assemble

5 Hours Later, Natasha joined Steve with the rest of the Avengers who had been able to come. There stood; Bruce Banner, James Rhodes, Bucky Barnes, Thor Odinson, and Doctor Strange. Pushing up his glasses, Bruce came forward with a pause.

"So, Cap, why'd you call me in for this job? I can't you know. W-what if you know, the other guy comes out? I'd be jeopardizing the mission. Severely." His voice was uncertain with heavy concern. He looked back at the rest of them all.

Steve sighed, stepping forward toward the team, looking at Dr. Banner, "Because we need everyone for this mission. Clint called us all in. Whoever isn't busy and in for the job." His eyes made full contact with his. 

There was a quiet moment before Bucky's eyes trailed to a car across the parking lot, "Uh, Steve? I don't think we're the only ones here. Looks like they're here."

Cap looked in the direction of the car, "Looks like Laura got here before us." He walked up to the door, the rest of the Avengers trailing behind. Steve knocked, not hearing an answer, then knocked again. There was a bit of shuffling on the other side.

Then a small click behind the door followed Laura looking through the door crack. Her face lit up with both gratitude and disappointment, opening the door fully, from what Steve could tell. 

"I'm sorry we're late. It's been a long time since we've last assembled," Steve said, relying on that line to make her feel better about the matter. She smiled.

"Thank you, Captain Rogers." She made a waving gesture for them to come in. "Please, come in.  It's not quite all cleaned up yet, but it's the start." Her voice was light with joy.

Steve was the first to walk in, then Banner and the rest. They all looked around the place. Toys everywhere you could see, but overall, a very neat mess. Bucky assumed they all had their job cut out for them. 

"Where're the kids?" Bucky stood next to Steve across from Laura, looking down a close by hallway.

"They're taking a nap," Natasha came out from a hallway, looking at them all. "I see you brought the whole group."

"Thanks to you." Cap's voice was soft and measured.

Natasha nodded. "Be quiet guys, Laura will show you the tour later, but right now we have to talk about how to care for the kids and toddlers. Some of these babes have diapers still, so I am expecting everyone to know how to change one." She looked at Rhodes, eyes trailing upon the rest of them.

Laura smiled, seeing Strange's nose wrinkle. "Maybe this isn't the right ball game for me." He said unsurely.

Steve glanced back at him. "It's ok Strange. You don't have to change any diapers. Just put them to sleep and keep them occupied." 

The sorcerer half smiled and took a step forward. "Where are they kept?"

Laura points upstairs. "They've got another 30 minutes before feeding and playtime, but I'm sure they'll want to sleep for a little more."

With that, Bucky sat on a couch. "We left our gear back at the tower. Do you think there will be any trouble here?"

Laura's teeth are shown through her smile now. "No, not at all. We're fully protected here at The Nest. There have been some high-security measures that have taken place to protect the kids and toddlers." 

Rhodes stood up to the pulpit now. "Great because I'd be a fried chicken." His chuckle faded to a low sigh as the rest of the Avengers sat at a kitchen table.

"So, how many rooms or floors are there??" Thor spoke up while sitting huskily in one of the provided chairs. His speech seemed to fill the room. 

Laura joined him. "We have many rooms, Thor. Some of which are bigger than others. You each have a room to yourselves that connects to the main living area where the kids play. So that would make 2 floors an exception?"

"Great," Thor replied with a cheery tone. 

They all swapped glances around the table until Bruce took up the liberty to speak up again. "So, how do we change a diaper?" Bucky gave Bruce a somewhat of a hoarse stare before she spoke up.

"Natasha will teach you. But right now we have to go." Laura got up, nodded at Natasha, and went to go out.

"We?" Rhodes leaned back, looking at the now shut door, Laura had gone through.

"Kids. Cooper, Nathaniel, and Lila." Steve spoke up.

"Ohh. Ok"

"We all have to be at our best. This place is going to need some work, some cleaning, and best of all, fun. Mostly for the kids. Helping each other out is the main priority right now, whether we like it or not." Steve stood up from his chair.

"I agree," Natasha spoke, and stood, tempting everyone else to stand with her. "We've got 5 minutes until they all have to wake up." 

Bucky sighed. "Let's get to work then."