The Missing

Clint knocked on the door hesitantly, wondering if Nick was even home. He turned to check through the window, seeing the back door open.

"Come through the back Clint." A voice was sounded through the monitor under the front doorbell. "I am sure you've already seen."

Barton opened the side gate and walked into the backyard around the house. He thought the house was bigger the last time he had been here with Nick. Going around a small bush and some planted shrubs, he finally made it to the back porch, meeting up with Maria.

"Hello, Clint. You want something to eat?" Her voice and presence put a smile on his face.

He sat down, putting his quiver on the ground, standing it up against a chair. "Guess this mission is still just me, huh." Clint examined the desk, not expecting Maria to say anything. After a moment, he asked, "Where's Fury?"

Maria took her tablet and stood up. "He's waiting for you. Follow me." She went inside, Barton following close behind. Her steps were relaxed, he had noticed before she entered an elevator. He looked around the sides before entering the space.'

"Guess Director Fury never changed this place after all." His voice sounded dry, lacking tone.

Maria glanced over at him seriously. "Well, yes; he made the decision not to change anything, in case of an emergency." The door 'dinged' open and she walked out into a narrow hallway, putting her hand on the wall, where there was nothing there, entering into another elevator.

Clint suppressed a smile until they got out of the second elevator into an open lobby. Nick was waiting there in the shadows by a very dim light, his face lighting up just a little as Barton went to sit across from him.

"Maria, turn on the light." Fury's voice was low.

"Yes, sir." They heard a shot noise and the lobby quickly clicked on separate lights, making it 80 percent brighter than it had originally been. 

Fury smiled, scooting up his chair to the table, "We're not bats are we?" He pushed a file towards Clint. "Here's your mission. You'll know why you were chosen."

Barton opened the folder and examined the pages. Some with red lines crossed out over faces, certain individuals and families. Profiles with faces, body markings, and piercings. He frowned knowing what these files were about. "Missing People's Case.." He mumbled to himself, seeing Maria look over at Fury. Clint sighed, going through the rest, studying them until he stopped at one particular profile. 

"I know this woman. . . " His face grew confused. "I just spoke with her the other day. She's Thor's girlfriend . . . " He studied the face, his eyes trailing upon another picture of her and Thor. Clint quickly scrolled through the other pages before hers, trying to find the similarities between all of them. His brow furrowed when turning up with nothing. 

Fury glanced at Maria, then at Agent Barton. "No similarities. Whoever this person or organization is, they're just taking random important people. That's part of the reason we called you in Clint." He flipped to the very back of the folder to an address. 

"This is where we last encountered a missing person." Fury sighed.

The Agent looked at the address and passed it off. "I might need a lift."

"Jet will be ready in 15 minutes," Maria responded, then walked into the elevator. "I'll see you there Agent Barton." Her expression was serious when the door closed.

Clint nodded, then looked at the folder again. "Guess you have some research to do then," Fury said with recognition. "Guess this is where we depart." The lights dimmed again.

"Right.," Clint said more to himself than Nick and walked back into the elevator with the folder. The ride up seemed to take forever, he put on his quiver and walked out. Maria was preparing the Jet when he came out of the narrow hallway. "This is new."

"It's not. We added this a little bit a month ago, you visited when we were in prebuild." She smiled, then nodded towards his quiver. "I moved your stuff to the hangar and your room, we moved to the side room towards the left of you."

Clint made his way towards his room, which was small and cold. By the smell, he could tell it had been repainted. He et the folder down and closed the door. 15 minutes, right. He took off the quiver and reset some arrows before putting them back inside. Only if he had Lila with him. She had been a great expert at assembling arrows, maybe even faster than him. But he knew he was still the expert. Barton smiled at this. 

He sat on the bed, examining each arrow individually. Picking up a group, in particular, he recognized them right away. It looked old because it was. He remembered that they used to be called, trick arrows. "Trickshot arrows . . . " The hair on his back stood up with that phrase. He had remembered who'd called them that.

Clint went over to the bathroom, taking off his steel-tipped boots on the way there. He took off his shirt, moving towards the shower. He had time for a shower, right? Turning on the water, he took off the rest of his clothes and stepped in. Quick shower. His back ached and the gash he had gotten before, burned and started to weep again. 10 minutes. 

Maria was done prepping the Jet when she heard the water running. She looked towards his room, then moved up the plank inside the Jet and sat in the front, checking the controls over again, making sure each tunnel engine worked properly.

He got out of the shower dripping wet, grabbed a towel then looked at the clock, eyebrow-raising. "6 minutes." He said, voice cracking. Clint cleared his throat, walking to his clothes, putting them on quickly. Slipping, he fell on the rug like a cat, getting up again.

Barton set up his arrows and came out of the room, hair all mangled. 3 minutes? His posture was perfect, getting in the Jet. He sat down and breathed. "Let's Go."

Maria started the engines and they flew off, towards the destination of The Missing.