chapter sixteen

Our rehearsals are getting more serious and strict. We are having our musical run-through since the play will be happening at the end of this week already. I can't believe this. I remember only staring at the poster on the bulletin board. I was thinking about my mother who surprisingly didn't have anything to say up until now. And if she ever finds out now and punishes me for it, I can say it will all be worth it. 

I wouldn't be here if that dumbass freerunner didn't sign me up. If he didn't lure me with his stupid phrase. I wouldn't be here if he didn't give a crap about what I wanted to do. I found amazing people here that I shared memories with. We shared stress, frustrations, and well, jam. For the whole course, I wasn't the Avy Santos reaching the top of the school's artificial system. Here, I am just Miss Jenna. Simple and plain. 

"Avy, come here quick!"

Napatingin ako kay Sir Melvin. He's the producer of the play and mostly handling us all. He's holding his phone, watching something. Nandoon na silang lahat, forming a circle.

I came over. "Bakit po, sir?"

"Your audition video is trending now, Miss Jenna."

"It's noticed by Sara Bareilles!" Lily squealed. "Oh, God, girl..."

"But, how did that happen? Who recorded my audition?"

"The critiques," Calvin answered. "They recorded everyone so they could study it."

Wait. I can't believe this. 

"You're the chosen one, Miss Jenna," Sir Melvin chuckled. "Good thing Calvin uploaded this."

"You uploaded that, Dad. Stop denying it."

"Don't call me Dad here," Sir Melvin said strictly then he looked at everyone else. "Back to rehearsals in three so you might as well prepare now."

They scattered around but I remained standing there. I don't know what to think. I am exposed to everyone aside from this school.  

"Great job, Miss Jenna." Sir Melvin smiled at me. "We're all proud of you. You... you are a real treasure in this field. You marked our history."

"Thank you, sir." I bowed politely.

Since dress rehearsals na kami and all the technical stuff, we're at the actual theater already. It's too cold here, and this theater is gigantic. Paanong hindi ako manginginig dito?

"You can do this. Visualization technique." Calvin slid beside me.

"I have confidence in sunshine," I started.

He grinned. "I have confidence in rain."

We both cracked up. Nerds. 

"Hey, Calvin, Medina's looking for you." Jace came in. "Miss Jenna, call time."

They called another rehearsal. Back to work. 

For three days straight, we've been rehearsing. Ngayon ko lang naalala na walang nakakaalam in my family except for Manang so she'll be the only one to support me there. I bet my father will. He will always be supporting me especially when it comes to this. I hope I made him proud.

On the last day of our rehearsal, we're back inside our room since we will only be having a music rehearsal. I can't believe I've been given an opportunity to be with these people. It's so fun to be with them. They gave me life. I surprisingly became friends with them over this whole thing. Something has changed since the day I auditioned, I just noticed. You have no idea how I wanted to shower all the gratitude to Navi. He's the root of it all.

We gathered in one place when Sir Melvin called everyone. I can't believe I'm being emotional about this last rehearsal.

Sir Melvin clapped his hands, alongside Sir Maro, his brother, and co-producer. "In a month or two, in this room, we've created a wonderful unity. In this room, everyone did a great job to make everything majestic. So, thank you for helping each and everyone to make this stage play creative and colorful."