Chapter 7 .

Owen

I took a taxi to the shopping district. I got out in front of a store with a sign that read Candy and Confectionery One Stop in pink and purple letters. There were two teenagers about my age in front of the store and a K'thaktra who I recognized as the store owner. The teenagers had a small stand setup in front of them with chocolates displayed on it. There was a small handwritten sign next to them that read Gourmet Chocolates. The wrappings on the chocolates indicated they were gourmet.

I didn't get out of the taxi right away, but rolled down the window slightly to hear what the owner said.

"How much is it?" I asked the taxi driver.

"If you don't leave now," the K'thaktra said, "I will call the peacekeepers."

"Yeah, yeah," one of the boys said. "You've been saying that for 3 days now and I haven't seen any peacekeepers show up yet."

"Forty credits," the taxi driver said.

I transferred the credits and got out of the taxi. By the time I got out, the K'thaktra had retreated back into his store.

The teenagers smiled at me as I stepped near them. One of them actually winked at me. I ignored that one.

The other one said, "Chocolates for only half a credit. You won't find a better deal on chocolates anywhere else, but here."

"That's probably true," I said without looking at them. I stepped passed them and into the store.

I walked to the counter with my newly acquired metallic box. I winked at the Bundu-jo woman who stared at my physique from a nearby aisle. After I placed the box on the checkout counter I turned slightly so my backside would be turned towards the woman. I looked over my shoulder to see her admiring me. All that time in the gym was paying off well. I hoped her volo was getting a good image of this so she could go back later and rewatch it any time she wanted.

"Hello?"

I turned my attention back to the K'thaktra behind the counter, but realized he couldn't see me behind the box. I took two steps to the side and smiled.

"You're looking in good spirits this fine day, my friend," I said.

The K'thaktra didn't really look at me as he said, "Your parents will have to come pay for this."

"My friend," I said. I laughed at his mistake. He made it all the time. I thought he would have recognized me by now. "It's me, Owen." I gestured to my chest and took a step back so he wouldn't have to lean over to see me behind the counter.

"Ah, yes, the small human who isn't a child."

"That's right, Owen." I emphasized my name. He never remembered it. I supposed it didn't matter. I'd be leaving Earth that day anyway.

I patted the box. "Fill it up with as much individually wrapped chocolate as it will hold."

His yellow eyes looked at me for a moment and then he let out a heavy sigh. "Chocolate." He glanced out his store front window at the teenagers selling the chocolates outside. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather buy chocolates from them? I can't match their price. They are selling it for less than the retail price. I've been trying to get rid of them for three days. I even tried calling the police, but human police on Earth aren't interested in helping a K'thaktra."

I smiled at him and patted the box. "Just fill it up until it's full and then we can talk about the price. Don't move the little box that is already inside there. It needs to stay."