Chapter 21 .

Vai

"This is a ship wide emergency."

I awoke with a start. Emergency. I threw off the covers and stood up. Was there a hole in the ship? Had we ran into asteroids? Had the K'thaktra attacked? No. The K'thaktra were friends now. Warpaint was by my side before I could take a step.

"Unless authorized, you are to remain in your quarters."

My door opened and my father rushed in. He looked all around my room as if the emergency might be in there.

"If you have seen anyone or anything suspicious on the 6th level, please report it to security immediately."

The girl. What did she do? No. I didn't have enough information yet. It might not have anything to do with the girl. I didn't even know what was going on yet.

"Please remain in your quarters until we make a further announcement."

I looked at my father. He looked at me. His okulus buzzed as a call came through. He answered. He must have been bothered because he didn't think to hide it from me.

The captain's profile was projected through my father's volo.

"Lieutenant Commander, come to the bridge immediately."

"What's going on?" my father asked. "An attack?"

"No. The Aether Field Prototype was stolen from the museum."

The girl had been in the museum. And Owen and I had always seen her on the museum level. Should I say something? I opened my mouth, but closed it quickly. I probably shouldn't interrupt my father's conversation with the captain.

"Was that the only thing stolen?" my father asked.

"No. But the other item wasn't important."

"What was it?"

"The K'thaktran ancient writings that no one can decipher."

A chill ran from the top of my spine down my back.

"Why would someone take that? It's useless." my father said.

"Isn't the Aether Field Prototype useless?" I asked.

"Is your son listening to this conversation, Lieutenant Commander?" the captain asked. "This is confidential information."

My father scowled at me before he left the room, still on the call with the captain. The door closed behind him.

"Isn't the Aether Field Prototype useless?" I asked Warpaint. "It's just a model of what was used on the Shadow in the K'thaktra war isn't it?"

"No, sir," Warpaint said. "It's fully functional, just on a small scale. Much like the Aether Field your father installed in me."

"You probably weren't supposed to tell me that," I said.

"I wasn't supposed to volunteer it. No. But you asked."

I wondered how long it would take my father to figure out that loophole and fix it.

"Then that means the writings are probably not useless too. I should tell my father."

I stepped out of my room just as my father walked out the door into the corridor. The door shut. I probably should have gone after him, but I didn't. Maybe it had nothing to do with the girl. Okay, so that was unlikely. I should tell him.

I went back into my room and climbed into bed. I pulled the covers up to my chin. Maybe she had a really good reason for taking it. Maybe it was a life and death situation and if I told on her, something really bad would happen. I should talk to her first.