Chapter 33 .

Vai

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Owen said. "We need to check to make sure the captain is infected with the Corruption before we kill her."

"I can't believe we're still talking about killing people," I said.

"Do you want the K'thaktra war to happen all over again?" Esther asked. Owen and I both shook our heads. "Then this is what we need to do. The Corruption are horrible beings. We can't let them take over more and win. If they get their way, every being will have the Corruption inside them. Even children. They won't discriminate."

I hadn't given any thought to the girl that had been in the basement of Papa's store until then. She must have already been infected too. They all had. And Thrissko. If Esther was right, the Corruption was still inside him, had bonded with him and it would be impossible for him to be without them.

"We need to at least be sure they have the Corruption in them first," I said.

Esther nodded. "I agree. Let's be sure."

"How can we be sure?" Owen asked. "Pink in their eyes?"

"The pink only shows itself when the Corruption is telling the host something directly," Esther said.

"I saw it in Officer Hansi's eyes when I gave him my statement," I said.

"I saw it in his eyes when they came down to level 8 to find me," Esther said.

"You didn't see it in anyone elses?" Owen asked.

"No," Esther said.

"Sir," Warpaint said, "if we can't go to the authorities I at least think we should tell your father."

Esther sat on the bed next to Officer Hansi. She opened the top drawer in the dresser next to the bed and pulled out the Aether Field Prototype. She turned it slowly in her hands.

"No, Warpaint," I said. "He'll want to keep me away from all this." I waved in the direction of Owen, Esther and the sleeping Starwatcher.

"Maybe you should stay away from all this," Warpaint said.

I put my hand over my chest. "Remember what happened last time I thought Owen was going to die and I couldn't help him? I almost died." I exaggerated my breathing.

Owen smiled, but turned away from us before Warpaint noticed.

"All right, sir. Just don't die."

"So," Owen said, "we need to find out if the captain has the Corruption in her and then we can go from there. Vai is probably the best one to find out."

"How?" I asked. It wasn't like I was on good terms with the captain where I could just look into her eyes.

"I don't know," Owen said. "Go to the bridge."

Esther placed the Aether Field Prototype into her lap and touched the Starwatcher's cheeks with both her hands with almost affection.

"I guess I could go to the bridge using the excuse that I thought my father would be there. Maybe he will be there."

Esther twisted the Starwatcher's head suddenly, violently and there was a loud pop as his neck broke. She had said we needed to kill him, but I wasn't expecting like that in the middle of a conversation. I'd thought I'd have time to prepare myself. She stared down at Officer Hansi's face and gathered the Aether Field Prototype in her hands. Owen took a step away from her and a step closer to me and Warpaint. She turned on the Aether Field Prototype.