Chapter 27 .

Owen

I decided to head to the shuttle early. Partly because I couldn't sleep after the encounter with the girl and partly because I was worried about going with Spencer and I wanted to get there first.

"Good morning, son," my mother said when I walked out of my room. She was dressed for work, but sat at the couch with a cup of coffee - algae coffee - in her hand. Algae coffee had a different smell than coffee on Earth, but that had never stopped my mom from drinking it.

"Morning."

"Owen," she said, "remember you're still on probation. Don't try to smuggle anything onboard."

"I won't." I didn't have any plans to. Not with weekly searches by security of my room. Although, if there was something really good I wanted to smuggle onboard, maybe Vai could keep it for me. Then again, maybe not. It seemed like his dad spied on him a lot.

"Have fun," she said.

"You too," I said as I walked out the door. It slid shut behind me. You too? She wasn't going planetside. She was going to work. But maybe work was fun for her.

I made my way down to the shuttles with 20 minutes to spare. I didn't see Spencer yet which was good. Lieutenant Tanpo was the only one I saw. She stood next to her shuttle door, but I stopped without getting too close because she hadn't noticed me and she was on a call. Vai's father was projected through her volo. It didn't seem like he was at home. At least, I assumed he didn't wear his lab coat at home.

"Can't you speak with her?" Lieutenant Tanpo asked. "She refuses to go planetside. This is the second time. The Captain was supposed to go to Brist for the negotiations, but she refused then too. The Captain of the Armstar also refused." Shel's father. "They both sent their first officers in their stead. Now they're both refusing again? I don't think either one has left their respective ships since they first boarded."

"I can't force the Captain to do anything," Vai's father said. "I don't have that much clout. And you're a pilot. You shouldn't worry about politics."

"But you asked me about her."

"Yes. I asked you to report on the Captain acting unusual. That is all. You don't need to try to convince her or me of her job description." There was a pause. "What about the other thing I asked you? Is anyone else acting strange? Refusing to go near the Aether Field?"

"Yeah. My mechanic. Wilson. If I dock my shuttle too close to the Aether Field he refuses to work on it. I don't know when it started because I wasn't paying attention to it before you told me to watch for it. He's not the only one to work on the shuttles."

Lieutenant Commander Ma'amaloa's fingers typed something into his okulus. "Wilson. Got it. Don't be alone with him, Lieutenant."

"You said the same about the Captain."

"And I meant that too. Don't be alone with the Captain. I'm telling you this in return for your efforts in saving my son. And don't badger the Captain. Better if you're not noticed at all."

"What do you know Lieutenant Commander?"

"Just heed my words, Lieutenant."

Vai's father ended the call.

Lieutenant Tanpo hadn't noticed me yet. I stayed where I was for a few moments so Lieutenant Tanpo wouldn't know I had overheard the call. She was inspecting the hull of the shuttle.

"Good morning, Lieutenant," I said when I felt enough time had passed.

"Good morning," she said. "You're my first customer of the day."