prologue

PROLOGUE - THE KIDNAPPER

Back then, Liam never liked her father, never trusted him

Back then, Liam never liked her father, never trusted him. He was a ruthless, power-hungry sociopath. Liam always knew he'd stay that way for the rest of his life— or so he thought. It had been over two decades since the McCall pack had seen or heard of Theo Raeken. After the first five years, they thought they'd never see him again.

He had just disappeared.

Until four years ago, when Liam Dunbar had gotten a disturbing voicemail. It was the voice of a young girl, around his own daughter's age. He was startled by the urgency in her voice, she sounded scared, terrified.

"Hi, my— my name is Thea Veen-Raeken, um, my dad told me to call you.. Um, we're in trouble."

It had been awhile since he had even heard of that surname. The girl's voice shook as the sound of glass shattering echoed in the background.

"There are some people after us and— and they broke in! My parents are fighting them— please help us! Please help-" a loud crash, then screaming- "NO! GET OFF ME! NO!! HELP!!"

Liam didn't know what to do other than notify his pack alpha, Scott McCall. He played the voicemail for the true alpha, who then decided that they would rescue their old ally and his family.

The pack spent days trying to track down the lost family. They found Theo first. He had been separated from his family, his wife and little girl. Theo told them what happened; his daughter, Theadora, had shifted at school and accidentally attacked a fellow classmate. Theo and his wife, Hannah, immediately took her and ran, but they were followed by hunters.

The family of three hid successfully for almost a year when the hunters finally caught up. They were surrounded, caged in their own home when the killers came. Theo had instructed his daughter to hide and call a certain number on his cell as he and his wife prepared for the fight of their lives.

They fought, they lost. They got caught, along with their 13 year old daughter. His wife and daughter were taken from him; the hunters separated them, kept them far from each other in hopes of breaking them, of breaking Theo.

Underneath all the vengeful anger, Liam saw the worry and love he harbored for his family. He wasn't the same kid from long ago, he changed.

Theo sacrificed himself to save his family. When they found Hannah and Thea, they were badly beaten, tortured and electrocuted continuously. Theo lashed out at the hunters once he laid eyes on his battered girls. The pack fought alongside him, supported him, helped him save his family. Theo died for them, having Scott McCall promise to take them in and protect them.

Hannah wanted nothing to do with them. She heard of how powerful the McCall pack was; she knew they were good people who just wanted to help. But pride and heartbreak got the best of her. Hannah took her daughter and disappeared, rejecting their offer. The pack heard nothing of the two for four years, until one day, a 17 year old girl knocked on Liam's front door.