Chapter Three

•••

•••

Autumn stared in the mirror at her small figure. The navy blue dress hug loosely off her shoulders as it had yet to be zipped up.

Finnick walked into the room, having gotten dressed up himself. He looked proper enough with a neat white sweater that had metal clips holding it together. Autumn tried to go for the same effect as she would be wearing a very plain dress, but still a dress.

The dress went off her shoulders and gripped onto the side of her arms. The bodice was tight with useless buttons down the middle and the skirt flowed out and ended a couple inched or so above her knees.

Finnick walked up behind her, staring at her exposed back. He took the zipper of the dress and pulled it up, slowly, brushing his hand against Autumn's bare skin.

Once the dress was zipped up, Finnick wrapped his arms around Autumn and hugged her from behind, pressing soft kisses to her neck.

Autumn placed her hands on his, savoring the moment before they would have to go to the Reaping.

Autumn had never been more terrified for a Reaping in her life. Not only could she go back into the Games, but so could Finnick.

Autumn turned in Finnick's arms facing him. She placed her face in his chest as she wrapped her own arms around him, wishing she could stay there with him forever.

"I love you," Autumn whispered. She and Finnick has muttered those words to each other before, but it meant something different in this moment. It was a goodbye.

"I love you too," Finnick kisses the top of her head. "You have my heart, Autumn. And you always will."

"If you an I go back into the Games..."

"Don't talk about that," Finnick cut her off.

Autumn looked into Finnick's eyes, realizing just how terrified he was for this Reaping. And it wasn't for himself. It was for Autumn.

They were forced to break apart when they heard Mags knocking on their front door, ready to go to the Reaping.

They shared a quick kiss on the lips before walking out of the room and down the stairs together, hand in hand.

Autumn opened the door to see Mags standing on the front door step. She had a solemn look, one the entire country bore today.

The three of them stepped off of the front steps and made their way through Victor's Village.

They walked in silence to the Justice Hall, Autumn holding on tightly to Finnick as many District Four citizens watched them enter. They walked up onto the stage, greeted by the other District Four victors.

All of the victors shared a look with each other which was a sign of respect for whomever had to go back in. It was as if they were saying goodbye.

Autumn looked at the people on the stage and saw a familiar face who was at ever Reaping. Amethyst walked out onto center stage, smiling widely at the crowd in front of her.

Amethyst was usually happy for the Hunger Games Reaping, But today she looked solemn. Her face was painted with blue glitter, her hair matching so you weren't sure where her skin ended and her hair began. Her eyes had a golden hue to them and her dress was a very pale white, which was strange for her usual colorful attire.

She tapped on the microphone a couple of times with her gloves fingers, making sure her voice could be heard. This was a sign to everyone to quiet down.

"Welcome everyone," Amethyst pretended to be happy. "Welcome to the District Four Reaping if the seventy fifth Hunger Games. May the odds be ever in your favor."

Finnick squeezed Autumn's hand in his own as Amethyst walked over to the female reaping bowl. The amount of slips of papers was underwhelming as many District Four tributes have died over the years.

Amethyst looked over at Autumn as she stopped next to the bowl. Amethyst's eyes spoke to Autumn as if saying she hoped not to draw Autumn's name.

Amethyst walked back to her microphone and very slowly unfolded the paper in her grasp. Time slowed for a moment. The paper was unfolded and Amethyst's mouth formed a name. And the name was not Autumn's.

"Mags Flanagan," Amethyst breathed out. Gasps erupted throughout the crowd. Mags's face was stone cold as she stepped forward.

Autumn's breathing became uneven as she watched Mags walk up to the microphone. Autumn couldn't let Mags go. Mags would surely die. There was no possible way she would survive given how old she was. Autumn couldn't let Mags die.

Autumn let go of Finnick's hand and stepped forward, a tear rolling down her cheek as she began to speak.

"I volunteer as tribute."