Chapter Fifteen

•••

•••

"The water helps!" Katniss yelled out. Autumn's eyes snapped open. How long has she been passed out? She wasn't sure.

Autumn found a new strength in her body as she dragged herself across the jungle floor and to the small body of water Katniss was in.

Autumn pushed her body into the water, screaming as the salt water hit her wounds. But the pain was soon replaced by relief when the boils melted away from Autumn's skin, creating white fog in the water.

Autumn helped Finnick up and placed him in the water, ignoring his screams of pain. Autumn rubbed the boils away from his skin.

"Thanks Autumn," he mumbled after most of the boils had washed away. Autumn smiled, cupping water in her hand and splashing it on his neck to rub away the last of the fog wounds.

They were unable to sleep at that point for fear of more fog appearing. They all got more water, drinking as much as their stomachs could handle. Autumn found some sassafras for the group to suck on so that the mint would trick their stomachs into thinking they're more full than they really are.

Peeta was getting a drink from the spile when Autumn heard a rustle of branches. Katniss and Finnick also noticed, standing up and watching the monkeys that came down from the treetops.

"Peeta," Katniss spoke, calmly.

"Yeah?" He asked, looking back at Katniss.

"Walk over here slowly," Autumn breathed out, shakily.

Peeta looked back in front front of him, noticing the monkey that was only a couple feet from his face. Peeta's eyes widened as he stumbled backwards.

"They're mutts," Autumn said to herself.

The mutt in front of Peeta let out a hissing noise before baring its teeth. A sign of aggression.

Autumn turned to see multiple mutts closing in on the four tributes. Autumn took out two throwing knives from her vest. The mutt leapt at Peeta, followed by the rest of them.

A mutt jumped through the air, about to jump on top of Autumn. She threw a knife at it while it was in mid air. It impaled the monster in the neck, making it fall into the water that was around their feet.

Autumn threw another knife at another monkey only a few feet away, running at her. She then took out her dagger and began swinging her arm left and right.

She slashed her blade across three mutts, killing them all instantly. She looked around in front of her, making sure she didn't see anymore monkeys coming to attack her from the front.

"Autumn!" Finnick yelled out, warning her. Autumn turned, quickly, seeing a monkey flying towards her. She stuck her arm out and stabbed the monkey in the abdomen, letting go of the knife that was too deep in the body to get back out.

Autumn didn't have enough time to grab another knife when a monkey pounced on her. Autumn held her arm against its neck to keep it from biting her. Its claws dig into her stomach, making blood pour from the wounds.

Autumn screamed in pain, grabbing the attention of Finnick who stabbed the monkey with his trident. Finnick looked down at Autumn's upper stomach, seeing that the claws rubbed through her suit and created long gashes on her stomach. Blood was pouring through the wounds, but Autumn didn't seem to care as she turned and continued to fight.

Out of the corner of her eye, Autumn saw Peeta fall to the ground with a monkey about to ounce on him. Just then, a morphling burst out of the bushes and tackled the monkey.

"A morphling!" Peeta yeleld after he stabbed the monkey, Katniss running up beside him. "Help me get her."

"Get to the beach!" Katniss screamed.

Katniss and Peeta began running for the beach while carrying the morphling.

"Autumn, go!" Finnick yelled at her. Autumn reluctantly turned and ran for the beach, making sure Finnick was close behind her.

They got onto the sands of the beach. Once Autumn knew the monkeys were stuck behind another invisible wall, she walked to the shore of the water an detached Peeta and Katniss. Autumn couldn't hear what they were saying, but she didn't care.

Autumn's view of the sunset was blocked by the hovercraft that had flown in to pick up the deceased morphling.

Autumn didn't know who else was in on the agreement to protect Katniss and Peeta, but she found that it was more than she realized. She had no idea this revolution was so big.