Chapter Six

•••

•••

Finnick greeted Autumn with a hug, telling her how great she looked with a whisper in her ear.

Autumn was not surprised to see Finnick's upper half completely bare and Finnick wasn't surprised to see a lot of skin showing on Autumn either. They were both meant to look desirable.

Finnick clasped hands with Autumn as he lead her over to an annoyed looking woman who was barking at some parade coordinators. It was Johanna Mason.

"Johanna, you remember Autumn," Finnick introduced her to the woman. Autumn didn't smile at the girl for she didn't seem in a friendly mood.

"Oh, the other half of the only relationship that doesn't make me want to barf," Johanna smirked. Autumn knew that was Johanna's strange way of complimenting her. "I loved your work with Peter in the seventieth Games."

"He got what he deserved," Autumn spoke, earning a smirk from Johanna.

"I remember you," Johanna's smile turned into a smirk as she looked at Finnick then back to Autumn. "I hope we can be allies," Johanna spoke, giving a nod to Autumn before turning an walking away.

"How was that?" Autumn asked Finnick.

"I've never seen her become friends with someone so quickly," Finnick smiled at Autumn. "She likes you."

"Well we have met before," Autumn shrugged.

Autumn looked over Finnick's shoulder to see Haymitch standing there. Autumn took Finnick's hand in hers as she brought him over to Haymitch.

"How are you, love birds?" Haymitch asked with a slight smile.

"Honestly, I've been better," Autumn grumbled in response.

"I'm really sorry this happened to the two of you," Haymitch spoke.

"You have to understand, Haymitch," Finnick began. "That I will protect Autumn at an costs. Katniss and Peeta no longer matter."

"I do," Haymitch nodded. "But you have to understand that this is bigger than yourselves. Katniss is the rebellion."

"Then what is Peeta?" Autumn asked.

"He is the rebellion's rock. If he does, Katniss will go insane and we can't afford that," Haymitch spoke.

"And if Finnick dies that will happen to me," Autumn told him. "So if you want Finnick and I sane, you have to keep us alive. You keep us alive, we'll keep them alive," Autumn nodded towards where Katniss and Peeta were standing.

"Agreed," Haymitch smiled. "No go make friends."

Autumn rolled her eyes as she walked and over towards Katniss and Peeta. They stopped talking when they noticed Autumn walking towards them.

"Autumn Reeves," Autumn held her hand out for Katniss and Peeta to shake. They both took her hand, Peeta smiling while Katniss's race was unreadable.

"You're the girl who went a little-" Katniss cut herself off.

"Crazy?" Autumn asked, finishing for Katniss. Katniss nodded. "I suppose you could call me that. After my district partner died in my arms and his murderer attempted to rape me, I lost it a little bit. That tends to turn a girl mad."

Katniss's eyes flashed sympathy, which Autumn hated. She didn't want sympathy.

"What what would these Games be if they didn't change people?" Autumn asked. Peeta and Katniss nodded, understanding.

Peeta and Katniss instantly liked Autumn. They had respect for how forward and real she was. They would like to call her an ally.

"Would you like a sugar cube?" Finnick asked, walking up to the group with a sugar cube in hand. "They're meant for the horses but they have years to eat these. Whereas if we see something sweet we better grab it."

"Finnick Odair, right?" Peeta asked Finnick, easing get an eyebrow. Finnick nodded with a smile.

"How are the other star crossed lovers doing?" Finnick asked. Peeta smirked but Katniss looked unamused. Autumn smiled at Finnick as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Just fine," Katniss spoke. "I'd love to borrow that outfit someday."

"You both could've made out like bandits in the Capital. Gold, jewels, anything you two wanted," Finnick smiled, being his cocky self. Autumn new this side of him came out when he wanted information from people.

"We already have more money than we need," Katniss spoke. "And how do people pay for the pleasure of your company?" Katniss asked, looking back and forth between Autumn and Finnick.

Autumn let out a shaky breath. If only Katniss realized the truth that they were forced to spend their nights with Capital citizens. Autumn figured Katniss must dislike Finnick and Autumn for the fact that she believed they sold their bodies without being forced.

Johanna knew Autumn and Finnick were forced into prostitution as she had almost been forced into it herself. But she refused, and she paid dearly for it.

"With secrets," Finnick smiled. "I suppose we should be going. Have a good day." Finnick popped the sugar cube into his mouth before turning and leaving with Autumn by his side.