Chapter 4

Once the supposed location of Deity of the Sun has been dispersed to the mission takers, Mawang quietly pulled Seungah aside and led her to the backyard. "Seungah, how did you convince Go Je to tell you what he heard?"

She feigned ignorance. "What do you mean? I just asked him."

Mawang knew Go Je, the Wind Following Ear, does not give out something for free.

Mawang placed a comforting arm on hers. "Go Je takes something in exchange for information. It's not good to keep it within yourself especially with the eclipse coming. You can tell me."

At that, Seungah's tears started to flow. "He... he told me he has always wondered what I felt like." She sniffed. "One night. It was one full night."

Mawang put her head on his shoulder and didn't utter a word. He only let her cry.

He has known Seungah for as long as he could remember. He almost thought of her as a daughter since her features were of a young maiden. Although the ages of deities like her are far different than how they look.

They were not very close but close enough to wish each other's safety and well-being. And he knew Seungah was not the kind of woman who easily spends a night with a man. For as long as he knows, she has only loved one man. A man who she couldn't spend eternity with because he was human.

Go Je will have to have a piece of Mawang's mind once this mission is over.

Go Je, you, bastard. You never change, do you...

Son Oh Gong glanced around for Mawang. When he didn't find him, he approached General Frost. "General Frost, where's Mawang?"

"Mawang-nim?" He looked around. "Oh, there."

At that, Mawang approached them. "Why are you looking for me, Great Sage?"

Son Oh Gong scoffed. "Just checking. Maybe you chickened out and escaped. If you did, I'll take your reward from you."

Mawang tsked. "This crazy thug. Do you think I'm crazy enough to pass this opportunity?"

Chul Sun, together with Seo Mijin, approached them. "Are you all ready?"

Secretary Ma replied, "Yes. As ready as we can be."

Chul Sun smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry I can't be with you. I didn't know Seungah would make me stay."

Mawang replied, "It's okay, Chul Sun. You'll be safer here. It's too dangerous. Without your powers, we can't know what might happen."

Chul Sun nodded with understanding. "And without my powers, I'm a deadweight."

"No. You are not a deadweight," Mijin opposed her.

Son Oh Gong was slightly surprised at Mijin's tone of conviction. If she told him that, he'll probably never think of himself as a deadweight again.

Chul Sun smiled at her subject's declaration. "If anyone seconds me at tracing Deity of the Sun, it'll be Mijin. She easily outdid the males in this part of the world. She'll lead you well."

Mawang agreed. "I'm sure she will."

The congregation stepped out of Seungah's temple.

"Be safe, my friends," Seungah told them.

Chul Sun waved them good bye.

With Seo Mijin ahead of them, they started their journey to the east.

After a few minutes, Son Oh Gong can't keep his complaint anymore. "I can't believe we're actually hiking."

Mawang chuckled. "Secretary Ma, how long?"

Secretary Ma gave a knowing smile. "3 minutes, Mawang-nim."

"3 minutes, what? What does that mean?" Son Oh Gong can't help but ask.

"It took you 3 minutes to keep yourself from complaining," Mawang explained and patted Son Oh Gong's back. "Congratulations, Great Sage. This is an achievement. The last one was 1.5 minutes. You actually doubled it today!"

Son Oh Gong brushed his arm away. "Shut up, Mawang." He sighed. "I wish I have 5050 with me. Deity of the Sun's-- argh! I'd pay 500 bucks for the person who could tell me his damn name!" He exclaimed. "Anyway, his temple has got to be on the opposite side of the world. And we're going there by foot. Wow."

"Oh Gong-hyungnim is right," General Frost agreed. "Is there no shortcut or some sort to Venom Mountain?"

They paused and watched Seo Mijin pause, too, when they did.

She faced them. "I am trying trace Deity of the Sun's footsteps right now. Let's hope he used a shortcut or some sort so we would, too."

"Is that possible?" Secretary Ma started to ask. "Is it possible for the Deity to actually be on foot going to the Venom Mountain? Didn't his steed tell you that Deity of the Sun "stormed out" of the room three days ago? Didn't it mean he was in a hurry?"

Seo Mijin smirked. "Not bad, Secretary Ma."

At that, Son Oh Gong grabbed Seo Mijin's arm. "What do you mean!? Where are you taking us?"

Mijin met his eyes. Again, Son Oh Gong was slightly, very slightly, startled by the intensity of her stare.

I think this girl's stare is going to kill me someday.

"Do you actually think she would open her portal for us?" Mijin asked. "I know all of you think that she lured Deity of the Sun to her mountain. And of course, she would let him in because she invited him. But for what reason? That's what we don't know. But we will have to tiptoe our way to her mountain. As quiet as we can. I am finding us pathways which would make our trip to the Venom Mountain shorter than usual. So please," she met their eyes one by one and ended on Son Oh Gong's. "Stop whining."

She strongly pulled her arm from Son Oh Gong's grasp and continued walking.

Mawang quickly shook his body a bit. "I hate it when she gets mad. The air becomes prickly."

General Frost spoke to Son Oh Gong. "Hyungnim, don't make her mad anymore."

Son Oh Gong faced him. "It was dog secretary's fault." He turned to Secretary Ma. "Dog secretary, don't do it again."

At that, they resumed walking and caught up to Seo Mijin.