𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑇𝑤𝑜

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑇𝑤𝑜: 𝐻𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑑𝑠 𝐵𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑

The train station was deserted, the only sound filling the small space being the echoing whistle of the odd train that pulled in or the footsteps of the ticket conductor that roamed the platform, face dulled in boredom. Perhaps it was the miserable weather that lead to the scattering of bags being dragged into the shelter of the offices and the absence of hushed voices of passengers around her. But Sabrina felt comforted and oddly at home among the gentle drizzle of raindrops that kissed her flushed skin with a delicate coolness that was readily welcomed.

She knew she would find herself missing the wet weather of England as soon as she stepped foot back in France. She would miss it more than she wanted to, but less than everything else that she would leave at home and she wasn't willing to remain just for that. But the rain reminded her of more than just the state of being at home. It reminded her of everything that came unwillingly with it. Maybe that was why she loved it so much.

Along the modest platform, her train to London was due to pull in. Sabrina debated whether or not to drag herself onto it, her single bag filled with meagre possessions along with her. It was only two days ago that she had made the decision to leave, and it was only a day ago that she had made the plans concrete.

Sabrina felt like she was in over her head. She had thought that John had always been the one for her. Instead she had fallen in love with his tough older brother. She couldn't help but think of what others would think of her. It was always a weakness of hers and if Sabrina had any strengths, it would be running from her problems.

She thought of the time she had spent in Small Heath since returning from Paris. Her memories were small moments filled by both Tommy and her sisters. How hadn't she seen this before? Tommy had lied about his brother's favourite colour for her dress, he had danced with her at the races and found a way to keep her safe. Tommy had kissed her in the private room. She had given herself to him in her room as he hid from the coppers. It was all too much. So she ran.

"Why are you leaving?"

Sabrina was startled by a deep voice coming from behind her. The sound was quiet beneath the clattering of the steel sheets of rain that fell upon her. Her clothes were completely drenched, her dark hair sticking flat to her head.

Tommy was stood by the gate, his shoulders slumped and eyes slightly puffy. He was soaked too, his grey coat black from the dampness and hair reaching his eyes thanks to the added weight of the water.

"I have to." She said, her eyes closing to stop her from looking at him. She had left without saying anything for a reason.

"Don't give me any of that shit Sabrina." She had expected the harsh tone, but that didn't prevent her heart from breaking slightly at his disappointment. "Why?"

"I don't have anything keeping me here anymore. John's married, Betty's going off with Henry and my boys have got all this business with your boys. There's no reason to stay." The lies fell from her lips easily. She had told them to herself so much that they almost felt real.

"If there's nothing holding you back, then why are you crying?"

She wondered how he could tell that it was tears dripping down her cheeks rather than raindrops, but then she felt herself sniffle. Her eyes felt itchy and she knew they were going red.

"I'm not-" Sabrina began, but then she stopped herself, seeing his honest gaze. "I know what you've planned Tommy. George told me, you know what he's like."

She laughed a little, trying to lighten the feeling that was growing in her chest like a pain. "Please, don't let me ruin it, go back."

"I'm running on borrowed time Sabrina." He said calmly, it was a phrase she had heard him use before, since the war. "And I'm not going to waste it shifting some stupid fucking guns. Not when you're on you're way to Paris."

"What does this mean?" She asked.

"Please stay."

Sabrina thought she could hear a sense of vulnerability in his voice. It was low and quiet, barely discernible. It reminded Sabrina of herself, when she had needed him to stay after the night in the Garrison only a week ago. Is that how he felt now?

"Don't go soft on me Tommy." She whispered. "You know I can't handle it."

"Then don't leave." He said, stepping forward and out of the light of the street lamp and toward her. "Why do you want to leave?"

"I'm scared!" She said truthfully, but Tommy shook his head, not understanding.

"You have everything here, Sabrina. You're family, who love you. Me and my family, who love you. Think of the Garrison. It'll be empty without you!" He said and Sabrina felt a sob break through her throat.

"You managed fine while I was in Paris." She said, attempting a smile.

"Did we?" He asked. "I still remember when your letter arrived, everyone would gather round the table just to read them."

"I loved reading the replies."

"I could be a reason." Tommy had stepped forward until he stood only inches away, his hand moving to rest on her cheek.

"I didn't think it was possible." She stuttered. She didn't want to think that it was possible.

"But it is. It always had been." Tommy whispered.

He pulled her in, embracing her with a warm kiss that sent comforting shivers down her cold body, immediately heating her like fire. The rain around them seemed to stop as they kissed. The train had pulled up behind them.

"I love you, Thomas Shelby." The words spilled easily from her mouth.

"I love you." Tommy said and a wide smile pulled at her lips, making her giggle. "Will you stay?"

Ever since she had returned from France, he had ruined her plans. He had come into her life, accidentally charming her with his beautiful eyes, enchanting words and cheeky actions. Sabrina didn't want to like Tommy Shelby. But she wanted to love him with all of her heart, especially since he would too. And she supposed she couldn't do that in Paris.

Sabrina bit her lip before nodding. "Come on. I can't be the one to ruin your plans."

❤︎