𝑆𝑖𝑥

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥: 𝐴 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝐽𝑜ℎ𝑛 𝑆ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑏𝑦

That morning, when Betty opened the front door to see John Shelby waiting expectantly with hands casually dug in his pockets, she refused to believe her own sight. She stood, mouth agape and chin on the floor for the best part of two minutes until Sabrina came, scurrying to his rescue, planting herself in front of her sister, breaking her daze of disbelief.

Betty straightened herself, pulling at her skirt and glared before grabbing her hand and pulling the older woman to the kitchen as she called for John to wait a moment. She turned, looked at her sister with stunned eyes and urged for her to explain.

"How could you forget to tell me that John Shelby asked you out?" She said quiet enough so the boy himself wouldn't hear but loud enough so that Sabrina could tell she was angry. Sabrina didn't even need to tell Betty, she could just tell that it was a date.

"Because I knew you'd make a huge fuss out of it!" She said back, her voice annoyed and higher pitched than normal. She knew that Betty's reaction to John just knocking at the door proved that she never would have heard the end of it. "Just like you are now!"

"I am." She stopped, stepping back and quieting her voice, calming herself with a breath. "I am not making a fuss Sabrina."

"But I feel betrayed, Sabrina. All I've done for you and your crush on John!" Betty had always been one for the dramatics and was now showing it, her hand placed on the left of her chest and nose turned up. "Go, before I change my mind."

Sabrina snorted and covered her mouth with a hand. "Betty, you're not going to stop me from going out."

She picked her sister's cheek and skipped towards the door where John waited with a smirk. He had heard the two girls whole conversation and couldn't help but feel smug at the idea of another girl fancying him.

"Come on then." He said, nodding his head, leaving her to scurry after him awkwardly. She didn't know whether to take his arm or just step beside him, but he chuckled, held his elbow out and watched as she wrapped her small arm round it.

Sabrina was silent as they walked up the street, her feet moving quickly in order to stay in line with his longer strides. It was a cold evening and she had forgotten to put on a coat- she hoped John would lend her his own, like in the love stories she read in France but she was disappointed as they walked down the street, heading toward the Garrison, which was busy as usual.

Her eyes fluttered up expectantly, wondering if they were actually going to the pub which was usually reserved for the older men and football celebrations. Perhaps she was expecting too much from John- they were in Small Heath after all, and it wasn't known for being the poshest of places. Not only that, but Sabrina was beginning to be unsure of how much of a real date their date actually was, as they stepped into the pub, sitting down at the busy bar. They hadn't said a word to each other since they left her house.

A few people greeted John as they sat down at the bar, a drink placed in front of him within seconds.

"For you Sabrina?"

"A gin, thank you Harry." She replied with a smile before turning to gaze up at John, who was laughing at a man that slurred beside him.

She sighed but smiled again up at Harry as a glass was placed in front of her, and scanned the room. It was busier than normal. The private room was probably taken by Tommy and Arthur but the rest of the tables and chairs and even floor space was packed with drinkers. John turned to her swiftly, the usual cheeky grin plastered between his creased cheeks. He motioned for Harry once more, his glass already drained, and order a drink for them each. 'Make it a big one this time Harry.' He had called.

Sabrina found herself praying for an interruption, something she never thought she would ever wish upon, especially when on a supposed date with John Shelby. It was all she had ever wanted growing up, but now the reality has turned out poor. But when he turned to look at her with sparkling eyes and signature grin, her heart fluttered like it always did. He leaned forward, whispering a casual question to her ear, but it was masked by the rhythmic sound of her heartbeat that echoed in her ears.

She spluttered slightly as he looked at he expectantly, before fluttering his eyes upwards and rolling his eyes with a smile. She crunched her eyebrows, and turned around facing backward. Tommy stood behind her, leaning against the bar. He hadn't seen either of them but turned after a few moments, feeling their eyes at the side of his face.

He stared back at them, not blinking as he brought his whiskey glass to his lips. He turned back again, without acknowledgement.

"What's wrong with Tommy?" Sabrina asked, turning back in time to see John roll his eyes, shaking his head and yet smirking.

"Don't know." He said shortly, although he obviously did.

"Let's get you a drink." He said, before hopping over the bar and pouring another glass.

Sabrina let her eyes drift away from John with the gin glass in his hand and towards Tommy and his shaded eyes. What was the matter with him? He looked sad, but then guessed Tommy always had a sort of melancholy look about him.

She shook her head. Tommy wasn't the concern. If he felt he needed to say something, he would have. Sabrina turned back to John, for the rest of their date evening.

❤︎