𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟: 𝑇𝑜𝑜 𝑀𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑉𝑖𝑜𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒 𝑝𝑡2

Sabrina followed quickly behind Ada as she hurried toward the front door, Karl held tightly in her arms. Polly had left to confront Grace. Tommy had rushed to confront Kimber. She had learned that Freddy Thorne was amongst the men fighting. It seemed that everything was falling apart. But Ada thought she could fix it.

"We can't let them bloody kill each other!" She shouted, as she carefully put Karl in his pram.

She had dressed herself in all black, saying she wanted to look like she was going to a funeral. The whole idea of it startled Sabrina, because it could become reality, just when things were getting better.

"What are we going to do Ada?" She asked. "Kill them with kindness?"

Ada nodded with a smile as she got her son comfortable in his push chair. He was somehow calm, almost sleeping.

"It's like a bloody war out there!" Sabrina argued.

"That we need to stop." Ada stopped, turning to face her. "Your little brothers are out there. So are mine."

Sabrina's eyes widened. She hadn't known that her younger brothers had pushed their way to join Andrew and their father. She hates that it was that knowledge that persuaded her to help Ada, and not the idea of fighting as a whole. But George and Peter were too young, too inexperienced. They had no idea what they were getting into. Ada could sense that she had changed her mind.

"Go get changed into something black." Ada said. "It's on my bed waiting for you."

Before Sabrina could head to the stairs, they were interrupted by the sudden opening of the back door. Jenny Potts rushed through, her hair pulled out and cheeks flushed.

"We can't let them do this." She said quickly. "Your father's too old for the scuffle."

Ada nodded. "Me and Sabrina think the same, we're going to convince them to stop. If you can dress in black, you can help."

Jenny didn't both asking about the need for a dress code. She was already following Sabrina up the stairs within seconds, fixing her hair along the way. Sabrina pauses by Ada's wardrobe, turning back to glance at the older woman, a hint of a smirk on her lips.

"You really care about my father?" She said as she pulled a new dress over her head quickly, turning to see Jenny doing the same.

"I care about all of you Sabrina. You're like family." She said, brushing the comment off easily, as she always had done.

"I hope he knows what a brilliant woman he has found himself." Sabrina said as she turned to the mirror, shrugging on a coat. "You both deserve happiness."

Jenny stopped still, her hands remaining firmly on the hat that she was placing on her head. Her arms were bare, given that Ada found black a boring cookout and didn't have enough of it to go round. She wouldn't meet her eyes as Sabrina slipped her shoes back on, until she finally spoke up.

"You're not mad?" She asked, and Sabrina's eyes widened.

"Of course not!" She exclaimed. "No one can live without love."