So Little Sleep- Euriarty

Jennifer crying woke Jim up for what felt like the millionth time that night.

"I'll take care of her," Eurus sighed, rolling out of bed.

Jim saw that her pajama shirt was slipping off of her shoulder, yet she didn't fix it out of exhaustion. She rubbed her eyes as she walked over to the adjacent room where Jennifer was supposed to be sleeping.

Jim closed his eyes. His brain told him that he should talk to John about kids, since he had Rosie and probably knew a few things about kids and how to get them to sleep and stay asleep.

His exhaustion controlled him. Every decision he made was because he was tired. It felt natural to be tired all the time now, almost like breathing.

"Sh, mommy's here," Eurus whispered.

Jennifer seemed to cry harder.

After a few minutes of nonstop crying, Eurus came back into their room, holding Jennifer in her arms.

"Jim, I can't get her to stop crying," she whispered, a thread of frustration in her exhausted voice. "And I already tried feeding her. And changing her diaper. Nothing's working."

Jim sat up, rubbing his eyes. He was aware how damn sleep-deprived he looked, but he was starting to not care.

Eurus carefully exchanged Jennifer into his arms and got back into bed, sliding underneath the duvet.

"I can't believe you did this to me," Eurus whispered, falling back into her pillow.

Jim wanted to shout that it wasn't his fault, but he realized that it was just his exhaustion thinking for him.

"Jenny, sh," Jim whispered. He rocked her gently, praying that she would stop crying.

"What the hell am I going to do?" Eurus whispered.

"Hey," Jim whispered, putting a hand over her arm. "It'll be fine. You're just really tired. You'll feel better when you've gotten some decent sleep."

After a few minutes, Jennifer stopped crying.

"You're a miracle worker," Eurus said thankfully, smiling faintly.

Jim set Jennifer in her crib and walked back to bed.

Jim pulled the blankets up to his neck and wrapped his arms around Eurus. He stroked her hair. The repetitive motion soothed him.

"You okay?" Jim asked.

"Just exhausted," Eurus answered, sighing. "Can you just keep doing that?"

"Yeah," Jim answered.

He was pressed against her back and could feel her deep breaths.

"At least she won't cry around us when she's a teenager," Eurus said quietly.

"Yeah," James agreed. "Go to sleep. You really need it."

"You sound just like you're talking to Jenny."

"I'm just exhausted."

"Me too. I'm going to look so awful in the morning."

"You're always beautiful to me."

"Good, that's the right answer," Eurus laughed weakly.

"I'm not lying," Jim assured her.

"I know," Eurus replied.

She fell silent for a few moments.

"Sex?" she asked.

"You need to sleep," Jim replied.

"Right answer... again," she said weakly, yawning between words.

She fell silent and stopped moving after a few minutes. Jim stopped stroking her hair and leaned into her shoulder. He let his eyes close.

He was glad if he could take on parenting with anyone it was with Eurus.